5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

weird mixture & bubbles coming up the radiator.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Wild_Stang

Default weird mixture & bubbles coming up the radiator.

Can someone please tell me what is going on with my Stang?
Is my engine mixing water and oil or what?
I put clean and pure water in the radiator once I turn the ignition on I see bubbles coming up and this weird mixture...
Any input will be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:23 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: weird mixture & bubbles coming up the radiator.

it's not a clear picture but you should never leave pure water in the cooling system for a long period of time as it will cause rust to form and turn the water orangish....good flush will cure that when coolant and oil mix it looks like melted ice cream I have one in my shop right now that did than and when draining the oil it had about 15 qts of white milky mess!!! also coolant is what lubricates the water pump so if you have straight water in it remove it asap and flush the system good!! feel the substance does it feel like oil????
Old 07-18-2007, 01:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'd drain it all out and flush the system and take a sample if it's oil using a clear glass jar the oil will seperate from the water as oil is lighter than water and through the glass you'll see a division of two substances and use a match if the substance lights once it's seperated it may be oil
Old 07-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Wild_Stang

ORIGINAL: mjr46

it's not a clear picture but you should never leave pure water in the cooling system for a long period of time as it will cause rust to form and turn the water orangish....good flush will cure that when coolant and oil mix it looks like melted ice cream I have one in my shop right now that did than and when draining the oil it had about 15 qts of white milky mess!!! also coolant is what lubricates the water pump so if you have straight water in it remove it asap and flush the system good!! feel the substance does it feel like oil????
Thanks for the input bro.
well it doesnt feel like oil i guess rustmight be behind this.
And one more thing I forgot to mention it might be useful to know what the problem is..
When I put water into the radiator and then turn the ignition on the water level goes down and then I have to add more water..
Anyway after I add more water until it reach the top and put the cap on and drive I see that the water temperature gauge goes up from low up to mid...
If I press the pipe going in the radiator I feel a high pressure inside. Even if I open the radiator cap next day some water comes out because of the pressure.

But when I add water while the engine is not running until the top and then put the cap on I dont face this problem.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wild_Stang

ORIGINAL: mjr46

Thanks for the input bro.
well it doesnt feel like oil i guess rustmight be behind this.
And one more thing I forgot to mention it might be useful to know what the problem is..
When I put water into the radiator and then turn the ignition on the water level goes down and then I have to add more water..
Anyway after I add more water until it reach the top and put the cap on and drive I see that the water temperature gauge goes up from low up to mid...
If I press the pipe going in the radiator I feel a high pressure inside. Even if I open the radiator cap next day some water comes out because of the pressure.

But when I add water while the engine is not running until the top and then put the cap on I dont face this problem.
You have to repeat that process a few times...until water is all through the cooling system, and all air is out.

I haven't a clue why the radiator would remain pressurized after cooling down though.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Wild_Stang

ORIGINAL: Twisted

You have to repeat that process a few times...until water is all through the cooling system, and all air is out.

I haven't a clue why the radiator would remain pressurized after cooling down though.
i'm going to try this thanks bro
Old 07-18-2007, 03:44 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

its rust, mine still does that after like 29 flushes[:@]
Old 07-18-2007, 04:02 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

check your oil.......if it's frothy you have a blown head gasket

thats what it looks like to me