5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

pplease help me out here

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:53 PM
pete97GT
1st Gear Member

Default pplease help me out here

I was driving home on a hot day, got stuck in traffic and my car was starting to run really hot due to a very crappy haynes fan ( just got a taurus fan but have not put it on), the temp got too hot so i turned on the heater to lowerthe tempa little. then all of a sudden my oil pressure dropped to zero, pulled over checked for leaks and found nothing. The oil pressure only dropped at idle, so when i reved it up it went back up to about half way. After I let the car cool the oil pressure stopped dropping. It seemed that the pressure dropped only when i had the heater working... sounds kind of wierd, but can they be related at all? anyway there are a number of things that i think could have gone bad, so i need your advice on this. First of all my motor has about 80,000 miles on it (or so the guys said) out of a 92 gt. I have a pulley or harmonic balancer problem and the crank shaft pulley wobbles ( which i am fixing today) COULD THIS HAVE SCREWED UP MY CRANK/BEARINGS? if so, would thepressure just drop for good? Also the guy who i bought the car from was using 5w-30 fully synthetic oil, which i am obviously still using, however is it possible that the oil is too thin?? Lastly my car idles at about 1000rmp, is that bad idle , if so how can i adjust it????? I appreciate any info on this, thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 06:49 PM
pete97GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: pplease help me out here

also how would I know if the bearings are bad just by looking at them??/
Old 07-18-2007, 07:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

way to many questions!!! first after the gauge hit 3/4 you should of shut it off pulled over ect ect....... if you got it sky rocket hot then of course the oil would of thinned out to like water!!! let it cool then see if you have a oil pressure problem and change the oil you probably cooked it I could go into a lengthy disscucion about what happens to the properties of oil under extreme temps but lets leave it at that. if you cooked your motor next time pull over before that happens[&:] and fix the harmonic balancer! with it wobbling it doesn"T help the bearings out as it throws the balance off and creates unwanted harmonics, if you don't hear a rod knock or main bearing rattle don't worry about it cause if you damage them due to neglect then what's done is done so when you change the oil look for metallic particals in the oil that'll confirm any suspicions. AND FOR CRAP sake don't drive a car past the 3/4 mark ever if it's allways run in one spot then out of the blue it runs hotter shut it off immediately do no pass go and do not collect yo' 200 huhand dolla'.....It ain't worth toastin' a motor
Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 PM
pete97GT
1st Gear Member

thats what I did, I pulled over, let it cool off. and then got stuck it traffic again, it was barely over 3/4 mark, damn really dont want to put new oil in, just spent 30bucks on an oil change.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

If you don't check condition of oil you'll never know if there is metal in it. but wait until the morning and start it again and see if oil pressure is okay....bring it up to operating temp and see if pressure is okay. if it is then you dodged the bullet hopefully for now.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Dude, if you cooked your oil, replace it! 30 bucks is a lot cheaper tha a rebuild!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:59 AM
SoDakStang
2nd Gear Member

^^I agree!

Does you car have coolant in it. Just a thought, but check that if you haven't already. Check the easy stuff before assuming you roasted your engine. Change the oil and eat the 30 dollar bullet. It's just 30<2000
Old 07-19-2007, 03:53 AM
pete97GT
1st Gear Member

oh i know i didnt toast the engine, the car ran fine after i let it cool off a bit, the oil pressure went back up and then after i let it cool off i drove it home fine, and yes i def have coolent in there
Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

are you looking at your stock oil pressure gauge?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:01 PM
pete97GT
1st Gear Member

yes

Quick Reply: pplease help me out here