5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

still need help! wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:31 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Default still need help! wont start...

ok so i got my new fuel pump in yesterday and i still couldnt get it to start. i used some startinf fluid and it fired up and idled for like a min or 2 then i gave it gas and it like paused and and made a gunshot out the exhaust. then today i tried the same thing again and it ran for a couple min but was ideling at like 1500 when i gave it a lot of gas it seemed to work then it paused and fired out the exhaust again.. and when i tried to start it again it was makin poppin sounds out the exhaust but that stopped.. and now it wont fire up at all.... wtf
Old 07-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: still need help!

Check the "EFI No Start" link at the bottom of this page.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:29 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

The no fuel condition could be caused by an injectors not opening problem…turn ign on, check voltage at the Red wire of any of the injector connectors with the test light…light on = next step...light off = the power feed wire to the injectors needs to be traced and repaired for an open, you should also check and perform the salt & pepper connectors fix + recheck for injector power ign on.

this worked the light turned on when i tested the red wire

Using a noid light, or the 12-vdc test light, used as a jumper between the injector harness connector pins (clip and point ends), loosen the ½" holding bolt of the distributor so it can be rotated....turn ign on, and rotate the distributor left-to-right back and forth… you should hear the fuel pump prime, and the test light should blink…blinks OK = injectors need replacement…test light blinks NOK = check and perform the salt & pepper connectors fix.... recheck for injectors pulse....if test light doesn't blink = test the injector pulse signal wire for continuity between the injector connector to the ECM connector. The resistance reading should be less/equal to 5 ohms…OK = ECM is kaput, needs to be replaced…NOK = trace and repair wiring harness.

these diresctions confuse me.. the injector harness connector pins is the plug that actually connects to the injector right? and do i need to get like a wire that connects the other side of it or something?
Old 07-22-2007, 01:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Hey try something...unplugg the mass air meter connector and try to start it with that unpluged....does it run and rev up after trying this????
Old 07-22-2007, 01:45 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

and my fuel pressure is at 40psi when its crankin over... i plugged the regulator vac line
Old 07-22-2007, 01:49 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

so did you try to start it yet with the mass air meter un plugged??
Old 07-22-2007, 02:22 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ya that did nothing

but i did unplugged a injector and ran a test light from the connector to the in jector and a wire for the other connector and i got no blinking light... i kno the injectors are good cuz i took them all out the other day and cleaned them and they all opened.. so i think my ecm is fuked... where can i get a new one and how much would it cost??? and what exactly do i need? and can i test it sopmehow to make sure and where is it lol
Old 07-22-2007, 02:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

well there is a pick up inside thedistributor and what it does apart from indicating what cylinder to fire it also plays a role in the sequential firing of the injectors (ie ...when to fire) that's why installing the dizzty correctly is so important..... if the pick up in the distributor has crapped out theres a test for that. you need to find out why you have no injector pulse because the pick up in the distributor sends that signal to the ecm...if the ecm doesn't get the signal it may not know to even fire the injectors.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:33 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

what pickup in the dizzy?

Old 07-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

For the pulse check with a 12-vdc test light, you would have to use a paper clip extension from the alligator clip side of the test light, and connect it to one of the pin terminals in the injector connector, then probe the other injector connector pin .....like using the test light as a jumper.....then check for the pulse.

You could also use a 194 replacement bulb or an LED and attach either to the injector connector pins; and check for the pulse while the engine cranks, or while you rotate the distributor back and forth with the key in IGN ON.

If there's no injector pulse and the fuel pump doesn't turn engine cranking = possible stator sensor failure..............no injector pulse, and fuel pump turns on while engine cranks = possible bad ECM.

Another check you should do.....is disconnect the SPOUT and see if the engine starts. LUK

Quick Reply: still need help! wont start...