5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hard to start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:11 AM
84Capri
1st Gear Member

Default Hard to start when cold

I've just dropped a reman. 302 in my car about three weeks ago, the original was going out and I don't have the time for a rebuild right now. When I got everything back together, it took a few minutes to start up, but ran pretty good. The idle was kind of rocky, jumping up and down 300-400 RPMs, but about 350 miles lates the idle jump has stopped. The only problem I'm having now is that it takes about 3-4 minutes to get it started, and I've got to rev the engine as I'm braking when I come to a stop or it will stall out. Once I run it 3-4 miles and the engine warms up, it's fine, it'll idle fine, and will start up without hesitation, so long as it's still warm.

The PCV valve isn't connected to my air cleaner at the current moment, my stock air cleaner wouldn't clear my new distributor, so I had to pick up a Holley air cleaner, and I need a new fitting, the stock one won't fit up to the new air cleaner. I've also got a vacuum hose from my charcoal canister not connected (I believe the one that runs to my intake, haven't checked it out, been kind of lazy).

Does it sound like a vacuum problem? Timing?

I can't figure it out!

Thanks

Carbureted 5.0
Mallory EFI Dist.
pretty much stock
Old 07-23-2007, 03:31 AM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hard to start when cold

I had the same problem in my 2.3L. I would have to rev at everystop till it got warmed up. I got a new carb from a junkyard (2brrl from a pinto) and it ran fine. i could have used my original carb by im too lazy to rebuild it. Maybe you should pick up a new/used goodcarb, or rebuild the one you have. Or maybe turn the idle up half a turn
Old 07-23-2007, 06:55 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Sounds like the fuel is not staying primed at the carb, have you tried to spray some starting fluid in there before you crank it, to see if it will start right up.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 PM
84Capri
1st Gear Member

The carburetor I have was bought new 2 years ago. Shortly after I put it on I jacked up my transmission and the car sat for a little over a year. When I got my transmission rebuilt, the car ran fine with the exception of 7 MPG gas mileage. I had the carburetor rebuilt and it solved my gas problem, but afterwards it was hard to start. Was going to take it back to the shop that rebuilt it to have it re-tuned, but blew a head gasket 3 days later.

At first I assumed my carburetor was fine post-rebuild, though after relating this story I suppose it's most definately my carb, lol.

Two year old Holley 650, rebuilt 3 months ago, should be perfectly fine right? Other than needing a tune, it's very unlikely that it could be messed up, right? Really don't feel like shelling out $350+ for a new carb.....
Old 07-23-2007, 05:42 PM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

You should seafoam your car. Try like 2 cans of it. Half can in the vacuum booster to the brake cylinder, half a can to the valve cover cap, and a whole can in the gas tank (when the take is really low) that should clean alot of your motor up inside and make it run really good. Try that
Old 07-23-2007, 10:57 PM
84Capri
1st Gear Member

The motor's brand new...shouldn't have any carbon buildup.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

not to change the subject or anything but whats "seafoam"??
Old 07-24-2007, 12:50 AM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tberg725

not to change the subject or anything but whats "seafoam"??
PM sent

It has to be the carb more then anything is my guess.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:21 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Im not educated much on Foxes before 87, especially carbs, but do you have an ECT sensor? A hard start but then it runs fine once the engine is warmed up could be a bad ECT. When they go bad the computer uses a fixed warm-start value so itll run good after its actually warmed up. It wont start properly cold.

Just an idea, its all i can think of.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:08 PM
84Capri
1st Gear Member

I don't think I have an ECT sensor. I have very little computer-anything in my car. It may be dinosauresque, but I love it, computer's get complicated.

I had no idea what seafoam was either (and I actually thought it was a joke), so I Google'd it. It's an all purpose engine/gas/intake cleaner.

Quick Reply: Hard to start when cold