5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang going downhill!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Bigdogbowl
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang going downhill!

Im looking to stick around 5k into my Mustang instead of buying a new car.Any suggestions on what i should do. What i want to start with is Engine rebuild, Headers, H-Pipe and Flows American Thunder. I have a few issues i have to take care of like.

Issues:
I think I have a intake gasket leak or head gasket cause my oil is like a milkshake, my temp guage is constantly going up and down, and I have a spark knock / ping when engine is at running temp., and im loosing coolant somewhere. (not in overflow bottle). (Cost =$____?) haven't check on this yet

My air compressor locked up and melted my belt. I was going to bypass the compressor but the powersteering pulley is too close and the back of the belt would definately rub. (Cost = $500?) To get the air running again?

Passenger side power window is about ready to go. (Cost =$____?)

Driver power seat out (Cost-$____?) and bracket broke.

94' 5.0 Stock 114,000 miles

I would like to have someone rebuild (or should I if only a gasket leak) and add some mods to it. Aproximately how much does that cost? And what mods would u have done to it after fixing these problems? Also does anyone know of any good shops around Louisville , KY. area.

Thx. in advance for any replies!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:35 PM
traumadog511

Default RE: Mustang going downhill!

Hey, sounds like you either have a blown head gasket or cracked head. The coolant is going into your combustion chamber as is exident by the milk shake in your oil, over heating, engine pinging, and coolant loss. Dont run this engine or you will eat the whole engine. I would probally get someone to rebuild it. That way you get a new engine and can add some performance parts while you are at it. I guy at work had a hi milage worn out 302. He had a local engine shop rebuild it with alot of performance upgrades for a total of $3200.00. A/c compressor is about $150 then about $150 or so to install and recharge. If your a/c comp. died, I would almost bet you are also gonna need a new dryer and possibly a condensor depending on how many metal shavings are still inside your a/c system from the compressors death. You can get both new window motors for $140 or so. Replace it your self. Not too very hard. Power seat I would suggest scowering the bone yards. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:16 AM
neutralpinned
1st Gear Member

a lot of the stuff traumadog said was correct, im just gonna second it. The window motors i would replace both at the same time cuz u can get a good deal on a kit to do the whole job, dont forget about the hardware you'll need like rivets, new door fasteners, and a rivet gun. as far as the seat goes, i wouldnt look too hard into fixing it, you can get a good condition seat on craigslist, ebay, or at a junkyard.

PS i think its a head gasket instead of a cracked head. but i wouldnt be able to tell for sure. hopefully thats all it is though, thats a lot cheaper to fix than a cracked head.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 AM
95GrandTouring5.0
1st Gear Member

As they said it's a blown head gasket or cracked head, and you should not be running that motor unless you are trying to kill it.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:26 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Get the motor fixed, then throw a $3-4,000 turbo kit on
there and double your horsepower.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:40 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

id say get the motor rebuilt to a 306 if u dont want a stroker.
and if its a crached head or blown gasket...you might as well get the trickflow h/c/i kit while your at it.
that'll give you a nice little boost in horsepower.
and if you want to wake up the car get some new gears for the rear end.
those are only a couple hundred bucks including the install and help a ton.