5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:07 AM
red91gt

Default tranny question

Hey guys I have just a quick and simple one worded answerable question, unless you wanted to tell me a reason why you could or couldnt do this..... i just got a 91 gt(hince my username) and the guy that had it b4 me put a new tranny in it.... when he put the tranny in it he put an AOD-E in it instead of just an AOD. so my question to you guys is... can i just take all the electric crap outta the E and put a manual valve body in it so its be like just a regular AOD? thanks, and your help is gratly appreciated
Old 07-24-2007, 11:41 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: tranny question

Why don't you want the AODE? It's a much better transmission. Not only is it built better, but you can manualyl shift 1-2-3 because it has an electronic OD delete. That's not something you can do with an AOD unless you buy an aftermarket valve body with an electronic OD delete.

There's nothing stopping you from shifting 1-2-3 in the AODE, even with it in stock form.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:35 PM
red91gt

cuz idk what it would take to get the AODE to work rite in my car... cuz its supposed to have the AOD in it am i rite? cuz i have to put the car in neutral to start it, and it wont go into reverse, or wont even drive rite, i have to let it set at like 2k-2500 rpm just go get it to move, and i can let off the gas, i have to hold the brakes when i come to a stop.... is there a pigtail i can just wire in to make it work or what?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
red91gt

ttt need to know this to get my stang on the road...
Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Your not being ignored. Someone with the knowledge will chime eventually. I cant help you i run a TKO 600.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:17 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

i find it hard to believe that someone installed an AOD-e into a fox
Old 07-25-2007, 12:56 PM
red91gt

trust me, if you meet the person i got this car from.... youd totally understand how they did it! do the AOD's have electrical plug ins for wires on the drivers side of the tranny? or is that just the AOD-e cuz it has an E tranny pan on it.... so idk, i dont really wanna pull the pan off to check for some wires my cousin told me should be there, and then them not be there and have wasted all that tranny fluid... your guys's help is greatly appreciated, im new to fords like i said i came from honda's! but my buddy bought a new GTO, ad i drove it, and decided i wanted a v8 instead of a car payment, so i ran across this lil project, so now im tryin to get it on the road so i can sell the honda!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

If he did indeed put an AODE in htere, I would suspect that he had to change the computer and the wiring harness as well. As far as putting it in N to start, are you sure the linkage isn't off by one gear or something? I've seen shifters get put in when the shifter is in D but the transmission is actually in N. Then the cable gets tigntened and it's constantly off by one gear until someone notices it and immediately fixes it.

When I say I've "seen" it, I mean my dumbass did it installing my ratchet shifter, LoL. When I was taking the tension out of the cable I pulled too hard and it pulled the shifter out of neutral.

But you're positive this is an AODE? Do you know if you have an newer computer or something?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:42 PM
red91gt

im pretty sure its an AODE, and its not the linkage cuz ive messed with it for like 3hrs.... but idk bout the ecu and everything but i asked my cousin(tranny tech for ford) and he said that its supposed to be an aod in the car. thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:50 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

i dont see how you could do it.

aren't the odometers electricly driven on SN95s? i know the cable runs the speedo still the same, but the odo's tick electronically

Quick Reply: tranny question