5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

dyno tune vs. DIY tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:20 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default RE: dyno tune vs. DIY tune

ORIGINAL: samseed101

I absolutely love my Tweecer RT. It only runs about $550 or so and I can change the tune as many times as I want. And I can program 4 at a time and switch on the fly. It's got a steep learning curve, but you can't beat it... if you know what you're doing.

+1 samseed tried and tried to talk me into the tweecer RT, i spent money on a SCT 4 bank becuase i was scared of the learn curve. Now i am selling hte SCT ship and buy a tweecer RT.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

Im in the same boat i took my car to get dyno tuned twice and thinking about getting the pms, whatd i need to do to remove the diablo chip and hook up the pms?Also do i need to get a wideband o2 sensor gauge or can i read all that off the pms? How do i tune for boost when the car needs to be in drive under a load to have the supercharger make boost?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:09 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustangkiler

Im in the same boat i took my car to get dyno tuned twice and thinking about getting the pms, whatd i need to do to remove the diablo chip and hook up the pms?Also do i need to get a wideband o2 sensor gauge or can i read all that off the pms? How do i tune for boost when the car needs to be in drive under a load to have the supercharger make boost?
you need a wide band to do any tuning.

if you buy the pms new from rick anderson, he will give you a base tune to get you started which is really damn close. the safest way is to take the sc belt off and tune the motor n/a. after that is done, put the sc belt back on and then make changes in the boost table that will compensate when boost hits
Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 PM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

this may be a stupid question but when you take your eecIV car to a tuner what software are they using?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:43 AM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Ok, so if I buy the tweecer, or PMS, i would still have to buy a wideband setup to use it right? And how HP for HP, how close could i get it to a professional tune?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:25 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nmerrill

Ok, so if I buy the tweecer, or PMS, i would still have to buy a wideband setup to use it right? And how HP for HP, how close could i get it to a professional tune?
Yes, you'll still need a wideband. You can tune Closed Loop with your narrowbands for normal driving conditions. But when you hit WOT and go Open Loop the stock O2 sensors get ignored so you need a wideband.

As far as how close you can get to a professional tune, you can actually get more. To explain it a bit more, the pro tuners do a great job. But in reality they aren't going to spend hour upon hour to get it perfect or just right. They have other cars to tune and other jobs to do. You are probably paying a set dollar amount for the tune. So if you're spending $400 on a tune, don't expect them to spend 6 hours trying to get it right. They'll do a good job (usually, if they're not doing a hack job or taking shortcuts... like just resetting the CID scalar.) but they probably won't spend as much time perfecting it as you would on your own. And to be realistic, you can't expect them to.

So if you know what you're doing, then you can get a better tune than the tuners can give you. That's basically because you have all the time in the world to tweak any little thing you dislike.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:34 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ok lets just say i bought one of these tuners, tweecer or PMS. are you guys able to give sort of an initial walk through that way i wont F up the motor? it'll most likely be in the november if i bought one.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:48 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

would these get me started for home tuning?

http://www.plxdevices.com/products/dm5/afrsmcombo/

http://www.tweecer.com/tweecer_rt.htm

and i already have a laptop capable of running this type of software
Old 07-25-2007, 09:54 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

Ironically, that's almost my exact setup. I've got the Tweecer RT. And I just purchased the wideband controller from PLX devices this weekend (waiting for it to arrive.) Only difference is that I don't have the gauge. I'm just going to hook it up through the tweecer for datalogging.

So you should be golden with that setup.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:16 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: samseed101

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

Ironically, that's almost my exact setup. I've got the Tweecer RT. And I just purchased the wideband controller from PLX devices this weekend (waiting for it to arrive.) Only difference is that I don't have the gauge. I'm just going to hook it up through the tweecer for datalogging.

So you should be golden with that setup.
so i'm assuming you are getting something like this
http://www.plxdevices.com/products/sm/afr/

also would you be able to help me work my way around on the system if i get it. this seems really unique and something of worth to me. i'm all about doing it myself and saving some money.

Quick Reply: dyno tune vs. DIY tune