5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Long Tube VS Shorty

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:32 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Long Tube VS Shorty

No that has nothing to do with it. I dont think I have ever seen a set of LT's that were legal. They are illegal because of the placement of the o2 sensor. They have them but they are not located in the proper location so it has to do with something about the readings that it gives out when first starting your car (or something along those lines, not exactally sure). But just do yourself a favor, dont buy cheap long tubes. You WILL regret it when installing them.... BELIEVE ME, I KNOW.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:33 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Ohh, I just realized you were going with BBK. I have no personal experience with them. I only have experience with MAC LT's, and believe me, it was the last experience also.

And dont forget, you will need a long tube specific h pipe, its shorter than the stocker because of the length difference in the lt headers.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:20 AM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

No that has nothing to do with it. I dont think I have ever seen a set of LT's that were legal. They are illegal because of the placement of the o2 sensor. They have them but they are not located in the proper location so it has to do with something about the readings that it gives out when first starting your car (or something along those lines, not exactally sure). But just do yourself a favor, dont buy cheap long tubes. You WILL regret it when installing them.... BELIEVE ME, I KNOW.
they're illegal because of the placement of the cats not the o2's. moving the cats from their original placement (such as moving them further away) is the reason that thery are illegal. because the long tubes push the cats further away from the engine they decrease the efficiency. the closer the cat is to the engine the better light off that occurs. have you ever noticed that many manufacturers are starting to actually make the catalytic converter part of the manifold?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:34 PM
93lxstang
1st Gear Member

there illegal cause ur messing with the smog system u cant relocate any smogdevice, it has to be in its orginal place. thats why shortys are legal and long tubes are not. everything has to stay in the same place from the maf to the last o2 if u move any of that anywhere els NOT GOOD FOR SMOG.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:47 PM
5.0rick

A bit of information you might find useful in deciding whether or not to go with long tube headers.

The stock EEC-IV (A9L) calibration requires the O2 sensors to be a certain distance from the exhaust valve (short header distance) in order for the EEC-IV to correctly interpret the signals from the O2 sensors. If you move the O2 sensors farther away, they tend to "cool off" at idle and send a signal that is misinterpretted by the EEC as a lean condition. The EEC responds by increasing the AFR and you end up with a car that runs too rich at idle. This may cause surging and a poor idle, not to mention non-acceptable levels of HC for emission tests. IMHO, if you must have the long tube headers for the extra 2 or 3 HP/TQ, I would convertto a wide band with narrow band outputs (simulate stock O2 sensors) and ditch the stock O2 sensors as they will not work correctly at idle.

Regards,

Rick
Old 07-26-2007, 12:57 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0rick

A bit of information you might find useful in deciding whether or not to go with long tube headers.

The stock EEC-IV (A9L) calibration requires the O2 sensors to be a certain distance from the exhaust valve (short header distance) in order for the EEC-IV to correctly interpret the signals from the O2 sensors. If you move the O2 sensors farther away, they tend to "cool off" at idle and send a signal that is misinterpretted by the EEC as a lean condition. The EEC responds by increasing the AFR and you end up with a car that runs too rich at idle. This may cause surging and a poor idle, not to mention non-acceptable levels of HC for emission tests. IMHO, if you must have the long tube headers for the extra 2 or 3 HP/TQ, I would convertto a wide band with narrow band outputs (simulate stock O2 sensors) and ditch the stock O2 sensors as they will not work correctly at idle.

Regards,

Rick
i need new o2s and im getting longtubes, can you link to the 02 sensors your talking about please?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:34 PM
1989BluePony
1st Gear Member

ya the LT are actually flowtech, has neone had experence with this brand... there are going on tomorow so i hope there a decent header
Old 07-26-2007, 04:04 PM
5.0rick

ORIGINAL: nseoi

ORIGINAL: 5.0rick

Regards,

Rick
i need new o2s and im getting longtubes, can you link to the 02 sensors your talking about please?
http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AEM-30-2300