5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear main seal/pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:47 PM
red9535
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Rear main seal/pan gasket

ORIGINAL: Tacom_mustang

AHhhh clarification is great!! LOL... I was thinking, this guy is really and idiot, but now it all makes sense. Yes, I was the idiot for skipping this major step in the removal of the tranny.

First good news, tranny is out, oil pan is off, now oil pump is up and in place, the pan is soaking in the parts washer, trying to get as much of the crap off as I can. The rear main seal is in, I am assuming it is all the way in, considering it was flush when I took the fly wheel off, it is now in there and flush again, (the new seal.

Now I am at a loss of what to do. I can put it all back together and pray, or I can try to get the front seal changed as well. My buddy told me that is almost impossible with out an impact wrench. Said it was 185#'s of torque on there, that too get the motor too stay still and also get it to pop loose is basically impossible. I don't want to have to take my radiator out of my car and all that crap. So!!! With all that said.... What do I do, or is my buddy wrong?

Also, since the torque converter didn't come out with the tranny and broke free of the tranny, how the hell do I know where to put it back on at? I am screwed from what I know, but I am not sure. Also since it was all the way out, I am thinking that I should make sure all the old tranny fluid is out, it was burnt, and almost black, distgusting!!!! Any ideas??
Definitely flush the trans.. dont worry too much about the tq converter, just push it back onto the input shaft while turning it, you'll be alright.. if you're going through the effort you might want to entertain the idea of changing the front seal.. however, i'd suggest possibly just pulling your engine.. the trans is dropped so your already half way there.. unbolt the motor mounts and disconnect the tid bits, and yank that bitch out. Time for a full re-seal? Never hurt anything.. might as well do a cam shaft since it's out in the open..
Old 07-29-2007, 09:55 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

You can change the front seal w/o removing the radiator. An impact gun should fit. as far as the t/c, drain it. There is no set spot it has to have to go back together. Install it on the front shaft and make sure it "clicks/seats" in place. You may need to rotate it as you slide it on. Bolt the tranny back in place, slide the t/c forward and bolt that up to the flex plateand keep on gettin it til you're done.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Tacom_mustang

Well if I had the money I would love to do that. I am poor right now, I just got taken by an ex g/f for a lot of money, so I am just trying to get the oil to stop pouring outta my car right now..... Although, I was looking at my headers, and the pipes are pretty beat up. I can get a used good set pretty cheap around here. I see them on craigs list for like $30 bucks all the time! There is one pipe that is just bashed to crap, don't know what happen to it.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:57 PM
red9535
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

You can change the front seal w/o removing the radiator. An impact gun should fit. as far as the t/c, drain it. There is no set spot it has to have to go back together. Install it on the front shaft and make sure it "clicks/seats" in place. You may need to rotate it as you slide it on. Bolt the tranny back in place, slide the t/c forward and bolt that up to the flex plateand keep on gettin it til you're done.
Yep. Once you get to the point where you need to bolt the tq converter to the flex plate.. start all 4 bolts by hand and just get them finger tight (you'll have to turn the crankshaft again, using the pulley). If you run 1 in all the way then try to get them all in like that, it will tighten up all crooked. Similar concept to putting a tire on.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Tacom_mustang

I am tired.... its been a long 2 days, and still going...... Hell I am learning a lot though LOL
Old 07-31-2007, 01:03 AM
Tacom_mustang

SLOW SLOW SLOW!!

Ok today we got the new oil pump in, and bolted in place (or was that yesterday?), Got the oil pan put back up with the new gaskets and some RTV, between the pan and the gaskets (CORK, except the middle ones), Got the engine back down on the mounts, one of them mounts was really loose at the frame, so I tightened it up and bolted the engine back down. Got the starter back up there ready to be bolted in, the flex plate bolted back on, and the torque converter draining for tomorrow. Tomorrow I should be able to put the tranny back in.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 AM
Tacom_mustang

anyone know the torque specs on the flywheel???
Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

Just a thought, but when you put that torque converter back on, make sure it goes all the way back on. rotate back and forth as you push it on. you will hit several stops before it's all the way down. somebody should be able to elaborate more on exactly how many times it contacts before you get it all the way in.Will leak forever if you don't get it right.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Cobra77
1st Gear Member

As far as I know, it's three 'clicks' on the way in, don't quote me on it though.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Tacom_mustang

Ok, I am in deep doo doo. Something has gone wrong. Before you all say it, I know the torque converter went all the way back cause it was checked 3x's, and 2x's not by me.

Tranny has now taken 10 quarts of Mercron V, fully synthetic. that is what the dealer ship and Schucks told me to put in it. They told me to start with like 5 or 6 quarts and add till it was full. Now it is full according to the dipstick, yet I am having problems. It will not shift out of first gear, and it keeps heating up ( obviously) and slipping...... WTF did I do wrong?? Its an automatic, I think there is something wrong with the Kickdown, but it was working fine, than just quit. I have checked the connections and everything seems to be bolted up right.

Any ideas???

Good news, no more leaking oil that I can see so far. I still have the front seal to replace though.