5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New exhaust not fitting properly!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:12 AM
88MusangRacer

Default New exhaust not fitting properly!!!!

I bought a new stainless steel pypes exhaust system for my 88 GT. I put the LX versionover the gton my car because i have cut outs in the bumper for the tips to come threw. Yet after i installed and hung the exhaust it dosent sit right and does not align threw the holes. Theentire system sits to far left....WHAT DO I DO?????
Old 07-27-2007, 08:15 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: New exhaust not fitting properly!!!!

should have went summit.

take some pictures, its hard to tell without seeing it.

did you hang all the exhaust loosely to make sure it fit and then sinched everything up? is everything in its hanger? is it two peices muffler back or 3 peices muffler back?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:06 AM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

the cut outs in the bumper are not stock (unless its a cobra bumper). are you sure they are spaced properly?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

My Pypes GT tails needed some tuning too. The "mid-pipes" behind the X-pipe can be turned in all sorts of directions to get your spacing right. Even at that they still need a little time with the torch to get 'em perfect... For $400 for the system in SS I can't complain.

If your bumper doesn't accept LX tails, then I dunno what to tell ya...
Old 07-27-2007, 11:32 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

yet another case of the ... "I bought the crappiest exhaust on the face of the planet (because im a cheap bastard) and it doesnt fit right"

one of these days, you noobs will learn
Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The best way to intstall an exhaust system is on a lift. Even expensive systems wil not aligh properly if you do them squished between the car and the ground. I have a pypes system that I could not get aligned properly at home. Took it to a shop, they had it fitting perfectly in about 15 minutes and didn't charge me for it. Rock solid since.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:50 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

yet another case of the ... "I bought the crappiest exhaust on the face of the planet (because im a cheap bastard) and it doesnt fit right"

one of these days, you noobs will learn
crappiest yes.......nothing wrong with being cheap. summit exhaust fit like a glove, i just had to fuss with it becuase i cant follow my own advice of loose fitting everything then sinch it up. my whole set up was like 650-700 bucks headers back.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:57 PM
steel1
2nd Gear Member

Two weeks ago I installeda Pypes exhaust (x-pipe w/cats, s.s. violators,s.s. cat-back) on my 93GT. The only fitment issue I had were the mid-pipes, ended up cutting about 4" off each one and the played with the positioning for a while to get it to fit right. When I first tightened it all up it hung a little low, because the new x-pipe does not hang in the stock hangers on each side of the tranny. So I loosened up the bolts from the x-pipe back, put asmall piece of 1/2" plywood on my jackand jacked up the center of the x-pipe until it all hung high enough and then tightened it up. Made some final adjustments to the tail pipes on my buddies lift, but 95% of the job was done on my garage floor w/jack stands. All in all I think the system, for the money is good, Ilike the sound and it went on pretty smoothly. I used the standard GT turn downs, so didn't have to go through the back, but I'm sure you could tweak them to fit. I have friends who have used the better known exhaust brands and have had to heat,bend and cut, I think it's just the nature of the beast.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:19 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: steel1

Two weeks ago I installeda Pypes exhaust (x-pipe w/cats, s.s. violators,s.s. cat-back) on my 93GT. The only fitment issue I had were the mid-pipes, ended up cutting about 4" off each one and the played with the positioning for a while to get it to fit right. When I first tightened it all up it hung a little low, because the new x-pipe does not hang in the stock hangers on each side of the tranny. So I loosened up the bolts from the x-pipe back, put asmall piece of 1/2" plywood on my jackand jacked up the center of the x-pipe until it all hung high enough and then tightened it up. Made some final adjustments to the tail pipes on my buddies lift, but 95% of the job was done on my garage floor w/jack stands. All in all I think the system, for the money is good, Ilike the sound and it went on pretty smoothly. I used the standard GT turn downs, so didn't have to go through the back, but I'm sure you could tweak them to fit. I have friends who have used the better known exhaust brands and have had to heat,bend and cut, I think it's just the nature of the beast.
those two things do not go together. just like your exhaust. you can tweak and adjust that paragraph all you want but it still sucks. get a better set of tubes and we wouldn't be having this conversation
Old 07-27-2007, 08:01 PM
steel1
2nd Gear Member

Not sure what your problem is fivepointohh???, butmy stock h-pipe had two hangers that hung from two sleeves on either side of the tranny. The Pypes x-pipe that I installeddid not have those hangers. But thanks for your interest in my ability to compose a paragraph.

Quick Reply: New exhaust not fitting properly!!!!