5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

the motor is in, now I have trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default the motor is in, now I have trouble

got the 5.0 into the mustang today, but now I am stuck with a problem. the motor does not want to turn. I was able to turn it by hand yesterday, now it wont do a thing. I had a breaker bar on the crank snout bolt and it wouldnt budge, well, the bolt juts tightened down a bit, but nothing moved. I had the dizzy cap off and the rotor wasnt doing a thing, nor whas the felxplate spinning... I bought some seafoam penetrating lube/cleaner, but I have not used it yet.... can a motor seize ina day or is it a problem with the trans or could something have gotten bent or knocked off line when we intalled the motor. it is bolted to the trans like it should, I only have 1 flexplate bolt attached to the converter, I was trying to get the other 3....

anyone know whats up? could something be stuck?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:22 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Default RE: the motor is in, now I have trouble

Im no expert but id guess that where it connects to tranny something isnt lined up right. Did it go in smoothly?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: getafewlives

Im no expert but id guess that where it connects to tranny something isnt lined up right. Did it go in smoothly?

It went in pretty smoothly, we just had to loosen the transmission crossmember bolts to get it all aligned properly, cuz when we yanked the 3.8, it slid forward about half an inch.... and it took us a lil while to get the motormounts lined up, but it is in now, nothing is hanging or in wrong, so I am stumped....
Old 07-28-2007, 03:30 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelty

got the 5.0 into the mustang today, but now I am stuck with a problem. the motor does not want to turn. I was able to turn it by hand yesterday, now it wont do a thing. I had a breaker bar on the crank snout bolt and it wouldnt budge, well, the bolt juts tightened down a bit, but nothing moved. I had the dizzy cap off and the rotor wasnt doing a thing, nor whas the felxplate spinning... I bought some seafoam penetrating lube/cleaner, but I have not used it yet.... can a motor seize ina day or is it a problem with the trans or could something have gotten bent or knocked off line when we intalled the motor. it is bolted to the trans like it should, I only have 1 flexplate bolt attached to the converter, I was trying to get the other 3....

anyone know whats up? could something be stuck?

what did you do exactly, ? everything from the beginning issue to now?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:34 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

my money is on the torque converter not being seated properly in the trans, which has now cause a bind since you have bolted the motor and tranny together.

5 virtual dollars that i dont have say this is the problem
Old 07-28-2007, 03:35 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelty

ORIGINAL: getafewlives

It went in pretty smoothly, we just had to loosen the transmission crossmember bolts to get it all aligned properly, cuz when we yanked the 3.8, it slid forward about half an inch.... and it took us a lil while to get the motormounts lined up, but it is in now, nothing is hanging or in wrong, so I am stumped....
put the starter on, check oil etc, start the car[&:]

your just on compression cycle, and you arent turning that 302 with general strength, if you did a rebuild it may take a min to get to the easy point of just spinning.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

I removed the 3.8 v6 from the car, cleaned out the engine bay, then keeping the stock trans and converter, I got an '87 5.0 and got a 5.0 flywheel as well, I have prothane poly motormounts, we replaced the oil pan seal, then dropped the motor in, we had to raise the trans up a little to get the rear of the engine and the converter lined up. once we did, we muscled it together and bolted the bellhousing to the block. now I habve to attach the nuts that hold the converter and flexplate together, but the motor wont turn. it turned yesterday by hand with a breaker bar attached to the crank bolt, now that the motor is in, it wont. could it be a clearance issue in the tranny? we did have to loosen the trans crossmember bolts because when the 3.8 came out, the trans slid a bit forward, from the engine being yanked out.... we have it all lined up, its just stuck somehow.... could the plate that goes between the bellhousing and the block be causing it? I dont know if I could hook up the starter and hook up the battery and possibly crank the car to see.... nothing else is hooked up yet...
Old 07-28-2007, 03:42 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Time for a bigger cheater bar as long as nothing is binding. Make sure of the binding issue first, then if you are on a compressioncycle get a bigger cheater bar.

You may need to disconnect the tranny and see if you can still turn the motor by hand, it will le you know where you problem os at.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:43 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tmajikman

Time for a bigger cheater bar as long as nothing is binding. Make sure of the binding issue first, then if you are on a compressioncycle get a bigger cheater bar.
use your starter why you hurting your wrist?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:45 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

I just hope nothing is binding if he uses the starter, he could bend something or break something possibly.

Quick Reply: the motor is in, now I have trouble