5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

The "Fitty" is in recovery!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:27 PM
BiggusJimbus

Default RE: The "Fitty" is having surgury

Make sure you put some air tool oil into your cheap air wrench. If it's dry, it won't do crap. If it's lubed up and sucks take it back.

Good luck on your job. I see that one in my near future.

Jim.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

well maybe if you had of driven the roll pin out of the shift fork for the fitfth gear slider then it would of come right off as an assembly then removesnap ring...you did it completely bass ackwards[:@]it takes two minutes to do that infact I did one not to long ago.... there are easier to follow step by step instructions if you google them next time "T-5 rebuild" they'll contain anything the manual usually misses.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:11 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

looks like someone needs a new rear main seal...
got it covered!!!

I CAREFULLY drilled a little hole in the old one, and put a small allen wrench in there so it wouldn't harm the crank and yanked it out with a pair of pliers.
I also used the old one to tap the new one in... I also pinched my finger during the process (as you see the blood blister in the pic) [:@]

Old 08-01-2007, 12:18 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

well maybe if you had of driven the roll pin out of the shift fork for the fitfth gear slider then it would of come right off as an assembly then removesnap ring...you did it completely bass ackwards[:@]it takes two minutes to do that infact I did one not to long ago.... there are easier to follow step by step instructions if you google them next time "T-5 rebuild" they'll contain anything the manual usually misses.

I removed the snap ring and pushed the fork pin out. They would not budge. The synchro assembly won't come out unless the snap ring is removed. I pried on 5th gear with a small prybar, but neither the fork or the gear assembly wanted to come out, but I got some slack. I was then using 5th gear as a slide hammer to remove the synchro asmb and it worked, but kept binding the fork on the shaft and eventually the shaft spun and sort of came out.

I had fun putting the synchro back on ( I had to tap it back on ) The manual says it is a very tight fit so you have to be sure to slide it on as straight as possible or else it will bind.

If I screwed this tranny up, the FRPP T-5 "Z" is in my future...
Old 08-01-2007, 12:26 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

OK... I went to Autozone and rented the pilot bearing puller and slide hammer and got the pilot bearing out (sort of a PITA), tapped the new one in, replaced the rear main seal, and put the flywheel on.

I still need to get a clutch alignment tool (as the KC didn't come with one). I went to a couple of Ford dealers and neither had the clutch forks in stock, Autozone and Kragens don't have them neither.

It is comming along though...

Old 08-01-2007, 02:28 AM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

awesome, I am going to change my clutch this weekend, a lot ofthis will be helpful to me as its my first time to change a clutch
Old 08-01-2007, 06:35 AM
00limited7
2nd Gear Member

I ordered my alignment tool from 50 resto. I think it was under ten bucks. Have them oovernight that beeoocth.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:46 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Some progress... I reassembled the t-5, cleaned the bellhousing a bit and scored a new Ford clutch fork. I still need the alignment tool.

Its comming along!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:49 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bighungrymatt

awesome, I am going to change my clutch this weekend, a lot ofthis will be helpful to me as its my first time to change a clutch
Be sure to check this out
http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/s...5&CATID=21

Old 08-01-2007, 11:59 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

Did you get new flywheel bolts? If not you really should get some new ones.

Quick Reply: The "Fitty" is in recovery!!!