5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

One more wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:50 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Default One more wiring question

I was cutting up that green wiring connector thats near the computer so I can mount my fuel pump relay somewhere (remember it's all going into a 67) and there was one wire that didn't seem to belong in that green connector.. Grey/Yellow.. I followed it, and it seems to go through some fusible links or something and then out to the O2 sensor harness. Any idea what gives? What should I do with it now that it's not attached to that green block anymore. Can't seem to find out where it goes.

And secondly, on the wiring diagrams I look at, there should be 2 wires that come out of the fuel pump relay (Well, more than two wires, but these two specifically). One goes out to the fuel pump, and the other one goes into pin 19 on the computer. Fuel Pump Monitor.. I don't have a pin 19 in my computer, nor was there a wire going back to it from that green connector. Whats the deal? Thanks guys
Old 08-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: One more wiring question

1. Check connector #39 pinout......that is the HEGO power source (used for the heaters in the O2 sensors)...

2. If you don't have a pin 19 in the ECM.....that would mean that it's a speed density ECM, not MAF.......right?.......what's the programming code on the ECM label?.....

Old 08-02-2007, 07:34 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Yeah it's a speed density. Will be converting to maf so I won't worry about that yet I guess. Just like to get it actually running in this 67.

I have to pick your brain once more. On some of these pages I've been reading, it says from the brown round connector in the engine bay (I have 2 connectors instead fo a brown one.. grey and black I think), I need to connect 1 wire (Red/green I believe) to a crank/run signal, and two other wires (Red/blue and White/purple) to a crank only source. Does this make sense to you? The red green, I can't remember where it runs, but the red/blue runs to the distributor plug, and the white/purple runs to the O2 harness.. Beats me why these would need to get power when it's cranking (And not when it's running?).. So my question is I was looking at this page http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/EFI_power_diagram.gif and it says there is an ignition relay, and a MA/o2 relay. Are these stock or were they added to this for safety?

I was thinking of just connecting the red/green to the coil positive post, and the other two to the starter solenoid (Cranking trigger) but I'm wondering if those will take too much current, or something. I was also just going to add the Grey/Yellow (O2 power) to the coil or something. I wonder if I will overload everything.

Thanks a lot man! I appreciate it.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:41 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Also I just noticed my computer plug doesn't have wires or pins for a VSS.. (Pins 3 and 6 I believe). What gives with that? I heard if I don't connect that I'm at risk of stalling when I decelerate. Thanks
Old 08-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

VSS is not used as an input in SD systems, or in the idle control logic.....no need to worry there.

Start or crank only voltage is required at the TFI module (TFI pin 4) + you have the starter relay activation wire. The relays shown at fordfuelinjection.com, are included in their custom harnesses as protection devices, and to prevent the addition of multiple fusible link wires. BTW....you may want to keep as many of the other devices requiring power IGN ON, away from the coil.....you some times end up causing a feedback problem (engine doesn't shutdown when turned off).
Old 08-02-2007, 09:08 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I don't really feel like doing a relay setup at the moment until I know everything works. So basically all I need for relays is fuel pump and EEC, correct? You suggest running them to the ignition switch instead of the coil eh? How I routed the harness tonight was that red/green wire (Run) it has a strange crimped merge and one of the wires went to the coil (It was already in the coil plug), one went to the distributor, one went to the EEC relay, and I made one end come around and it will go to the Run/Crank side of my ignition switch. There is a red/green wire that I am running to the Start post of the starter solenoid (It needs Start.. I assume there is ok instead of the ignition switch). There was also another wire in my bundle that was White/Red or something close to red. Upon examination of the wiring diagram apparently it goes to the neutral safety switch, but another website I said just give it 12v at crank. So could that go to the crank post on the starter solenoid as well? I'm confused about how the 5.0 neutral safety switch works. It's on the tranny (T5) but beats me. I put a ohmeter on there but couldn't make heads or tails of it. It wouldn't do anything. I figured it would just be a circuit on the clutch pedal, not a thing in the tranny. Any idea how that one works? Or for that matter, do you know of thise white/red(?) wire I speak of? http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...ng_Diagram.gif

It is wire 30 on that chart I believe at the top..

There was one more wire that, on my diagrams I foudn on the web, goes to the distributor (From the round 8 pin brown connector) and it's green/purple. From what i can see on the diagrams, it goes to the distributor and it's called "Spout in".. ?

I just realized when you mentioned the relay system. Should I run inline fuses (Or fusible links) on these wires? The ones that go to the ignition switch (Start, and Start run, that I mentioned previously), and all the other wires? I wired in a fuel pump relay directly ot the harness.. I guess the trigger from thecomputer to the fuel pump relay. I didn't put a fusible link or anything. Am I being overly cautious there? Do I just need one on the hot side from the battery and one to the fuel pump.. Or do I need one from the computer to the relay as well? Thanks again!!