5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car is Slow

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Car is Slow

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

No, they are different compounds.
I know they are different compounds on racing slicks, but what I'm saying is take the same street tire and just melt the tread off to make it bald(no groves) Wouldnt the bald tire have better grip than it did before it was bald? Wouldn't that put more rubber on the ground and increase your contact patch? Same tire with tread VS. Same tire bald?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:59 PM
95 droptop
2nd Gear Member

i thought our cars only weighed about 300 pounds more than a couple. if im right why can my friends stock and auto 95 run a 15.2
Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: creekrat

I know they are different compounds on racing slicks, but what I'm saying is take the same street tire and just melt the tread off to make it bald(no groves) Wouldnt the bald tire have better grip than it did before it was bald? Wouldn't that put more rubber on the ground and increase your contact patch? Same tire with tread VS. Same tire bald?
No, it will not work that way. The compound of the street tire gets greasy when heated up, not sticky like a slick.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM
95 droptop
2nd Gear Member

and what would be some good next mods. im getting the 4.10's in Nov. and im not interested in forced induction right now.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:07 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Those times are horrible and something is wrong with the car. Hell, I ran a 15.5 at my elevation with a few bolt ons and gears at 6,000 ft elevation. The stock sensor in a different housing will cause the car to run like complete ***. Get a new MAF, this time get the complete assembley. If it was meant to run like that, PMAS and Granatelli would just send you the housing and not the complete sensor and housing. Scan it and I'll bet you're getting a lean code or a code for the MAF. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

After the gears, nitrous and heads are your best bang for the buck.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:13 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

4.10s will be huge. I'd also look into a TransGo shift kit as well. They're fairly cheap and are real easy to install. Also, if you haven't already, increase your base timing from teh stock 10 degrees to about 14 - 16 degrees. That will free up some power and it's a free mod you can do yourself at home. You'll just ned to run a higher octane gas when you do it. Obviously new tires will help out. To help with traction, you can go to blueovalindustries.com and pick up a set of rear upper and lower control arms for $125. Shed any unnecessary weight as well.

As you get more money, look into getting a new top end. (Heads, camshaft,) For a budget build, you can get GT40 heads and a Steeda #19 camshaft for around $400 or less if you shop around.

And like I said, not many MAFs are designed to be run with anything other than the MAS that came with it. So if you're running a stock sensor in a different MAF housing, you could have all kinds of problems which could reduce powr and even harm your engine. That kinda needs to be addressed, lol
Old 08-02-2007, 09:14 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: creekrat

No, it will not work that way. The compound of the street tire gets greasy when heated up, not sticky like a slick.
So you need the siping on the tire to push the grease out of the way to get traction? I guess since you put it that way, it makes sence.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:15 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

Those times are horrible and something is wrong with the car. Hell, I ran a 15.5 at my elevation with a few bolt ons and gears at 6,000 ft elevation. The stock sensor in a different housing will cause the car to run like complete ***. Get a new MAF, this time get the complete assembley. If it was meant to run like that, PMAS and Granatelli would just send you the housing and not the complete sensor and housing. Scan it and I'll bet you're getting a lean code or a code for the MAF. Good luck.
You mean besides the mismatched MAF and bald street tires?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
95 droptop
2nd Gear Member

ill probibly do heads then. ill see what i can pick up out of the junk yards tommorow. im thinking about putting the stock air intake set up on it, with a k&n

Quick Reply: Car is Slow