5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Twisted Wedge vs Vic Jr's

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:26 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Twisted Wedge vs Vic Jr's

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

so the victor head is better than the high ports?
OTB vs. OTB, yes. OTB Victor vs. TEA Highport, the Victor will still edge it out. The Victor is about a 350+cfm head OTB. It's also quite a bit more expensive. There is also the hidden expenses. Victors require shaft mount rockers, and not the cheap ones.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:27 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Notice we're talking about a Victor, not a Vic. Jr. That's entirely different. The Victor is the end all of inline heads.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:29 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

wouldn't the victor head be a tad big on a 347?

i know jay is good with his big head small cam wonders but the victor head is montrous
Old 08-04-2007, 09:30 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

here are your high ports.....

here are the 185 CHI heads (the SMALL chi heads!!!)

there is a pretty big different in performance in going from a high port to a CHI head. and like i said, thats the 185cc runner head - they have better flowing heads than this (225 heads flow 295 @ .500, and the 258 heads flow 305 @ .500)

yes, there are ported larger runner high ports that flow better, but all of the CHI heads numbers are unported - not to mention the flow of the 185cc head with a smaller runner is going to keep a better velocity at lower rpms for better power off the line as well as in the higher rpm range
Old 08-04-2007, 09:36 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

The TEA Highports are pretty much a direct comparision in price and flow against the CHIs. I'd take the Highports too. A Victor and basically every other canted valve head will beat them.
i like the TEA highports too... jay allen sells them buy the way... if u buy a cam from him im and get a package deal i bit it would be a little cheaper... i havent heard much about the CHI heads... other than the cost a lot and the guy i talked to said he was expecting more outta them... and i didnt think he had step goals so yea... but next head i buy will he TEA highports from jay hands down... thats just me tho... u recommend talkin to jay yourself and explain what u want... he many feel their is a better route...
Old 08-04-2007, 09:42 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

here are your high ports.....

here are the 185 CHI heads (the SMALL chi heads!!!)

there is a pretty big different in performance in going from a high port to a CHI head. and like i said, thats the 185cc runner head - they have better flowing heads than this (225 heads flow 295 @ .500, and the 258 heads flow 305 @ .500)

yes, there are ported larger runner high ports that flow better, but all of the CHI heads numbers are unported - not to mention the flow of the 185cc head with a smaller runner is going to keep a better velocity at lower rpms for better power off the line as well as in the higher rpm range
those are high port standards a lotta people will do a little work to them before than throw them on.... so your compairing apples to oranges in my opinion... and to my knowlegde you can get the TEAs for a few like 1300ish with a good port on them.... and flow isnt all of it.... air velocity is half the battle too... got ne specs on those id be interested to see them... i have never seen specs for either as far as air velocity goes... the CHI are better than i have heard tho... it may be worth trying them just for ****s and giggles... i wouldnt get the 225 those... not unless u have a crazy as setup....
Old 08-04-2007, 09:56 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

The 225 CHI and the 225 TEA Highport are within $45 of each other. That's probably the closest comparision you're going to get. The TEA Highport wins.

If you want to run a solid roller, the CHI are $500 MORE than the Highportfor a complete set. That's retarded.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:57 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Well, a few things. First, if you have 4.11 gears and TFS TW heads on a 302 and only ran 13.6, then as a 347 there's still aLOT of potential left, especially with a bigger cam. I've run 13.40's in my 67 which has a race weight of around 3,200 with me and fuel in it, and that's with a 4 speed manual and a 3.00 geared diff with AFR 165's(comprable to TWs), on street tires and shifting it a tad early(hope to find out what it can really do in another week). With a bigger cam and more cubes, those TWs with 4.11's in a light car should get you into the low 12's on street tires if you set everything up right. Your heads still have plenty of room to improve your et.

That being said, the best bang for your buck head will prolly be the CHI's, they are more expensive than other heads, but the hp/$$ vaule as far as heads go is unbeatable. They'll require a bit of work but they can make a 347 produce a CRAPLOAD of power. Go to their site, the Engine Master's Challenge got a 366 Cleve block to produce just over 600hp at the crank on pump gas at 6,500rpm with a flat tappet cam. The other full race heads or the larger CHI heads will yield more power, but will cost more. It's hard to beat a good canted valve head like the CHI though, and it's different.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:01 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302
It's hard to beat a good canted valve head like the CHI though, and it's different.
It's not hard to beat. And every time I see people bring up Engine's Masters, I can't help to think they have no clue what reality is.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:05 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

^ exactly.

the Engine Master's Challenge got a 366 Cleve block to produce just over 600hp at the crank on pump gas at 6,500rpm with a flat tappet cam.
i dont see to many 350ish cubic inch motors making that kinda power with windsor heads even with custom roller cams. plus i dunno why everyone thinks the CHI heads takes some work to get them in. you buy the right friggen intake from them, and use headers for a 351c swap and you shoud be good to go.

btw fullauto, what kinda hardware comes in the high ports? CHI uses ferrea valves and isky springs (a.k.a. GOOD hardware).

Quick Reply: Twisted Wedge vs Vic Jr's