5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Twisted Wedge vs Vic Jr's

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:00 PM
thundering347

Default Twisted Wedge vs Vic Jr's

So i freshened up my roasted 306 last winter with a forged 347 kit and a hot roller cam....(Trick Flow stage 3 .574/.595 236/248 dur. at .050) Re-used the twisted wedge heads i already had for budget reasons. Being currently deployed in Iraq with the Marines (Semper Fi to all my fellow teufelhunden) Im coming home with a chunk of change. Those wedge heads have always been the weak link in my power chain, so i think its time they were swapped with something a little more potent. Ive always heard great things about the edelbrock vic jr's, plus the price is reasonable, about the same as regular twisted wedges. This monster is going to be getting a vic jr intake as well for sure, to replace the torker II currently feeding the 347. Ive got 10.5 comp with my pistons and the 61cc trick flows, so the smaller vic jr chamber should put me near 10.7 or 10.8.

Anyone out there done this swap? The flow numbers look promising, and the intake will really help it out too. Its also getting 1.7 rockers to replace the 1.6's on there now.

This thing is headed for my '66 coupe, backed by a real 3550 from a 95 cobra R and a 4.11 stuffed 8 inch with caltracs and 4 1/2 leaf springs. With the aluminum flywheel and a 650 demon sucking my wallet dry, it ran a 13.6 at 99 mph on the old motor, (which had an edelbrock torker cam as well) coughing and sputtering past the 1000 ft mark. I think theres a lot more power with a vic jr top end, the fat cam (.617/.640 lift with the new rockers!) and some other little add-ons i already have in store....i.e. electric h2o pump, centerforce dual friction clutch, poly rear bushings.....

Im also shopping around for anything comparable to the vic jr's flow/price. Ive seen everything from cheap chinese knock-offs on ebay to 2200 dollar canfields andr-model trick flows. If anyone has a secret weapon out there they want to leak some info on, goright ahead.

Another psychotic idea im messing around with is the idea of a direct port nitrous setup. It already has a 150 shot plate system (never used in combat) which is needing replacement. Plus, the sick look of a victor intake'd demon carbed nitrous injected small block is too much temptation. Anyone ever mess around with one of these things? I know the horrors of improper ring gaps and over-aggressive jet changes. The short block's built to take it (forged everything, h-beams, arp studs throughout, steel main girdle, 1970 block) and the drivetrain should hold up, given the car only weighs 2700 lbs at takeoff. Any opinions?

Thats my diarrhea-of-the-mouth rant of the night. If you read all that, at least be kind enough to shout back some encouragement/criticism. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:08 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Twisted Wedge vs Vic Jr's

theres gonna be about 18 people who will come and whine about how they are expensive and you have to buy their intake and different headers - but if you REALLY wanna make it a potent motor check out the heads here

www.chiheads.com

the "3v 185" or "3v 225" would be right up your alley. they are basically a redesigned Cleveland head made to work on 302's without modification. i believe they use standard Cleveland ex. bolt patterns for headers, and they sell matched single plane intakes for use on a 302 block.

there really isnt a better head around for the small block ford - this is the top of the food chain
Old 08-04-2007, 06:16 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

theres gonna be about 18 people who will come and whine about how they are expensive and you have to buy their intake and different headers - but if you REALLY wanna make it a potent motor check out the heads here

www.chiheads.com

the "3v 185" or "3v 225" would be right up your alley. they are basically a redesigned Cleveland head made to work on 302's without modification. i believe they use standard Cleveland ex. bolt patterns for headers, and they sell matched single plane intakes for use on a 302 block.

there really isnt a better head around for the small block ford - this is the top of the food chain
yea your rite ppl will complain about the price.... im not saying there good heads... but for that price u can get better.... just like AFRs.... good heads but for hte price im not so sure i would buy them....

as for the question posted if your not goin to port the twisted wedge heads get the victors... normallyi would say **** TWs but i have see a light... basically hte only TWs heads i would say go buy are from jay allen... they are mroe than just your basic TW tho... there pretty killer and the price tag isnt bad... then get a cam from him too... then all ull need is an intake... which is the hardest of hte 3 to **** up but jay can make a recommendation for sure... after all he the cam master lol.... camshaftinnovation.com ... check it out... or miss out lol[8D]
Old 08-04-2007, 06:42 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

what heads are better for the price than the CHI's? i am really unaware of ANY head that will outperform their best set of heads (maybe the $10,000 exotic DOHC 5.0 heads)
Old 08-04-2007, 06:55 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

yates or CFE for wicked heads with a big price tag

either head will shine with the combo.

cheach out TEA http://www.totalengineairflow.com/pr...ead/tfshiport/
Old 08-04-2007, 07:03 PM
superman5.0
1st Gear Member

yea i have yet to see anything better then CHIs but definatly talk to jay allen about what cam to go withthem cause that i remember he doesnt sell CHIs.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:38 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: superman5.0

yea i have yet to see anything better then CHIs but definatly talk to jay allen about what cam to go withthem cause that i remember he doesnt sell CHIs.
look at one of the above brands and link that i mentioned above
Old 08-04-2007, 07:44 PM
superman5.0
1st Gear Member

yea you posted that as i was writing my post and i had never seen those before, you win.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:19 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

The TEA Highports are pretty much a direct comparision in price and flow against the CHIs. I'd take the Highports too. A Victor and basically every other canted valve head will beat them.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:22 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

so the victor head is better than the high ports?

Quick Reply: Twisted Wedge vs Vic Jr's