5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

pcv and egr elimination

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:51 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default pcv and egr elimination

are there any benefits for removing either one of these? pros and cons please!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:57 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: pcv and egr elimination

PCV: The only reason I see to ever remove this is with forced induction when you are having problems with blowby and excessive crankcase pressure. It also helps with oil in the intake, but that can be dealt with otehr ways (like using a seperator spliced into the line.)

EGR: It's a non-factor at WOT so don't expect any huge gains from it. But it makes the engine bay look nicer. It will also helped keep my upper intake much cooler (along with a spacer.) You could have some problems if you were running a bit lean to begin with and you removed it, but that is pretty rare. Overall, it nothing major, either way.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

PCV valve, yes you can remove it, but you don't want to plug it. Some people prefer to take their PCV out and simply put a crankcase breather in its place. Be sure to plug the inlet on the intake though.

EGR valve...this has been debated for a looooonnnggg time. Some say yes because it add HP. I haven't seen dyno's to prove it but then again I haven't looked. Others say no because it will hurt MPG.

An EGR systems basic function is 2-fold.
1) it takes some oftheexhaust gases that would normally be sent out to the environment and recycles it by reintroducing it to the combustion chamber. This helps to further break down unburned fuel and other contaminats that may not have had a chance to fully burn out. (The cats are supposed to take care of the rest)
2) By reintroducing this recycled exhaust, it presents a cooling effect into the combustion chamber which is also supposed to help further reduce emissions (Nox to be more specific)

Old 08-08-2007, 03:11 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

well, i've been looking at my emissions system trying to make sense of it. and i notice on my carbon canister there is only the fuel tank pruge line going to it. but from the canister to the intake there is no line. would this cause excesive fuel smell? i smell basically raw fuel out my tail pipes and inside the car while driving espeically when i get on it. i also smell fuel lingering in the air from the rear of the car. bad tank/ seals?. is there soemthing wrong with the egr? FPR is still functioning not sure what else could be the problem. and the plugs are fine, not fouled or anything.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:23 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Do you smell this with the engine running or even with the engine off? If it's just with the engine running, then perhaps you are running rich? If it's all the time, then look for a bad seal / line.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i smell it standing back by the gas tank car is off or on. i dont smell it in the car until i get on it, then i can smell it.....almost nauseating. i can really smell it when i fill up with gas car is on or off.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Sounds like the filler neck seal/hose for one is going bad.Notice any fuel on the ground when you fill up?Also, if the vapor canisters return port is not hooked up to anything you might want to check your tank to make sure that the inlet for that canister is plugged on the tank.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:49 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

when i fill up completely i have a slight drip of fuel on the ground. maybe 1 drip every 2-5 seconds. i try to keep the tank half full because of this. also the vapor canister has the line running back to the tank, i dont know if its hooked up, ill look later. but the other line the runs to the intake is not there. does that matter?

*edit*

also sometimes when i fill up at a gas station where the pump actually flows really quickly i get a slosh back where it shoots back out the fill nozzle. doesnt happen often but sometimes those pumps are like fire hoses.