5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

non ford auto problem help me if you can

Old 08-08-2007, 04:22 PM
junknotch
1st Gear Member

Default non ford auto problem help me if you can

Can anyone help a fellow stang owner
Last Thursday the car ran fine. i shut it off had lunch got back in it and it started missing real bad, with a flashing check engine light. I took it to a local shop to have scanned and they told me the number 2 fuel injector was bad. I brought the car home replace the fuel injector along with a new pcv valve and plugs. The car ran worse. I tore it apart again and switched out the fuel injector and replaced the number 4 injector. The car still missed but got a solid check engine light. I took it to another shop and was told the car has spark and compression they flushed the injectors and they all work properly. They said the number 2 cyl. had a flat spot on the cam and the valve is bad also. He does not now for sure but assumes that is the problem. When I drove the car home from him the car does run 80% better than it did. I don't think this is true on a car with 55,000 miles on it and is well maintained. So any advice would be great I am thinking a vacuum leak or maybe a coil pack ?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:30 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: non ford auto problem help me if you can

what kind of car is this? what year?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 PM
junknotch
1st Gear Member

2003 impala 3.4
Old 08-08-2007, 04:37 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

a flashing check engine light means that the vehicle is misfiring, badly.
to the point where you are actually burning the catalytic converter. if you smelt something similar to hard boiled eggs, that was the cat burning.

only a spark, fuel, or large intake leak will cause a misfire that bad. you could have a faulty coil pack, but i'm betting on a bad plug, or you are using the wrong plug type. that motor should take regular platinums, i believe.
no coppers, no iridiums either.
the proper spark plug is crucial.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:39 PM
junknotch
1st Gear Member

I changed the plugs with the correct ones i concure with you on the coil pack but I dont know anymore.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:42 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

could be a bad plug wire, too.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:45 PM
junknotch
1st Gear Member

I am going to replace the wires tomorrow and see what happens i think it is something simple but just lookingfor ideas before i give it one last try
Old 08-08-2007, 04:49 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yah definately do that, and dont go back to the shop that was talking about cam lobe wear.
the car wouldn't run better or worse just by messing with the spark plugs, if the cam was worn.
it would run like hell and shake very violently.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Im not sure if this applies to the 3.4 but I know for a fact that some 3.1 engines with the plastic intakes are prone to cracking. Theyve gotten so bad MOST auto parts stores STOCK the intake kit. You might want to call the dealer and see if this applies to your car. If it does then it would be a TSB or warranty issue which would more than likely mean free service and parts.
-P.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:57 PM
junknotch
1st Gear Member

I agree with you on the cam. To me the car runs like a vacuum leak. I called my parts guy and I can get the coils for 43 each so I am thinking of doing the wires first then maybe changing out the coil to the number 2 cycl. at least i got a solid check engine light now not flashing anymore. So I guess the fuel njector was bad. This is what I get for buying a Chevy

Also the car does not have the plastic intake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: non ford auto problem help me if you can