5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

modified 5.0 lacks power

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: modified 5.0 lacks power

people go .060 all the time, its not a big deal really
Old 08-09-2007, 12:52 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

Even with it running right the C-4 trans with 3.73's might not be enough to spin the tires on a car with a top-end kit on it, esp on sticky tires. It is also close to 100*F in a lot of places.

I would have to second what Samseed said- vaccum leak somewhere.
Also let the motor/ trans break in, fix the EGR, check basic stuff (igniton, timing, fuel filter etc.)
Old 08-09-2007, 01:06 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bduke
no not really it jjust doesnt seem to have near enough power as it should.
Which is exactly what would happen if there was a vacuum leak. I'm not saying that the problem is absolutely a vacuum leak. But I am saying that it's worth double checking. Ask StanPower on here. He just recently did some upgrades and then the car seemed to fall flat on it's face after that. It was lacking power to the point where he was ready to uninstall the mods... Then he plugged the PCV valve back in (it had popped out) and he was running strnger than before.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:10 PM
bduke

well i know where my egr goes to the motor it has no hose on it and has some suction when i put my finger over it. but the plugs and wires seem to be good. what do yal mean check the ignition? As you can see i dont know a whole lot about this stuf.

[/align]
Old 08-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Get a vacuum tester and make sure thats good, you could also check the compression. Make sure your getting spark to all 8 cylinders. Check your timing too. I bumped mine up a bit when i did my mild build and it helped it run a whole lot better. Side note - our cars (sn95's) dont run all that well without some kindof tuning after any modifications, if you can take it to the dyno. If you are willing to learn buy a handheld tuner.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:02 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

well i know where my egr goes to the motor it has no hose on it and has some suction when i put my finger over it. but the plugs and wires seem to be good. what do yal mean check the ignition? As you can see i dont know a whole lot about this stuf.
That right there is a vacuum leak. If there is some part that doesn't have a hose on it and if you can feel suction when you put your finger over it, then that is a vacuum leak and that can cause the problems you are describing. The bigger the leak (or the more leaks you have) the more problems you'll have.

I'm not so sure why you keep dismissing the possibility of a vacuum leak. You keep saying it's not it. Then you go on and tell us that you can see / feel suction. Then you press on and talk about ignition, plugs, wires, etc.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:12 PM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

That right there is a vacuum leak. If there is some part that doesn't have a hose on it and if you can feel suction when you put your finger over it, then that is a vacuum leak and that can cause the problems you are describing. The bigger the leak (or the more leaks you have) the more problems you'll have.

I'm not so sure why you keep dismissing the possibility of a vacuum leak. You keep saying it's not it. Then you go on and tell us that you can see / feel suction. Then you press on and talk about ignition, plugs, wires, etc.
+1000

Samseed is right, it IS a vacuum leak. The EGR must be hooked up correctly or disconnected and plugged.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:57 PM
bduke

I never said it wasnt a vacuum leak i was replyin back tosomeone elses comment I wasnt disagreeing with you

[/align]
Old 08-09-2007, 07:58 PM
bduke

bump

[/align]
Old 08-09-2007, 08:00 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

why are you bumping?
you've already told us the problem.

reconnect the EGR, or plug that vacuum line going to it.
its simple.

Quick Reply: modified 5.0 lacks power