5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Reinstalling Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:31 PM
347_Kevin

Default Reinstalling Rockers

Alright i got a new rod and a new set of bolts because of the broken bolt and bent rod before. All the other pushrods are good. I dont have alot of experience working with engines so I need some clarification on how to reinstall the rockers. My heads are edelbrock so that would mean they are stud mount not pedestral? (sp?) From what i understand i have to turn the engine over until the cam is at its lowest part for a rocker, tighten until i cant spin the pushrod then about 1/2 more? Is there somthing im missing or does that sound good? Thanks
Old 08-22-2007, 06:42 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Reinstalling Rockers

we really cant tell you how to install them if you dont even know what you have

Old 08-22-2007, 07:26 PM
347_Kevin

Dont aftermarket heads have stud mounts? I dont know how to tell the difference but my rockers do sit on a 3/8 stud.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:32 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

not all the time.... hows about you take a picture
Old 08-22-2007, 07:39 PM
347_Kevin

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...9/IMG00008.jpg

That link should give you a pic.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:24 PM
94RedDevil
2nd Gear Member

Those are stud mount rockers. you cant just wait until the cam lobes are at their lowest point. You have to bring each piston up to top dead center. To do this, pull your spark plugs out. Get a long screw driver or something you can stick down in the hole. have someone turn the crankshaft for you while you feel the screw driver move up or down. when you feel the piston coming up, wait until you feel it level out. This is like, the person is still turning the crank, but you dont feel the piston moving up or down. After you have it at top dead center, put your locker nut on the stud, if your rr's have a flat and rounded side to the mount, make sure that the flat side is up. tighten your nut down until you can not move the push rod with your fingers. then turn your rachet or wrench 90-180 degrees and tighten down the locking mechanism being careful not to turn the nut itself while tightening down the locker. you have to do this on EACH cylinder. also make sure that after you have done this, you do not touch that cylinder's rockers again even if you feel like they are loose because you would be wrong...trust me on this one. pm if you have more questions
Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Raphs50
2nd Gear Member

Not to hijack the thread, but I have been putting together my parts list to put TrickFlow TW heads on my 86. I currently have Steeda roller rockers, but will I need to replace these with the new TF heads? My current heads are stock so they are pedestal mount, right? I'm assuming the TF heads are stud mount. I was going to call TF, but you seem to know your stuff.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:35 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Those are stud mount rockers. you cant just wait until the cam lobes are at their lowest point. You have to bring each piston up to top dead center. To do this, pull your spark plugs out. Get a long screw driver or something you can stick down in the hole. have someone turn the crankshaft for you while you feel the screw driver move up or down. when you feel the piston coming up, wait until you feel it level out. This is like, the person is still turning the crank, but you dont feel the piston moving up or down. After you have it at top dead center, put your locker nut on the stud, if your rr's have a flat and rounded side to the mount, make sure that the flat side is up. tighten your nut down until you can not move the push rod with your fingers. then turn your rachet or wrench 90-180 degrees and tighten down the locking mechanism being careful not to turn the nut itself while tightening down the locker. you have to do this on EACH cylinder. also make sure that after you have done this, you do not touch that cylinder's rockers again even if you feel like they are loose because you would be wrong...trust me on this one. pm if you have more questions
thats kinda bad info, if he watches the pushrod go all the way down, and then turns it a little more just to ensure its all the way on the base circle he should be fine. i've never made it a point to bring each cylinder to TDC and i have never had to readjust a set of rockers. also, when we built motors at the shop we had kiwk sticks which you laid in the lifter valley and with #1 at TDC it showed you which ones you could tighten. IIRC it was 1/2 of all the rockers that can be set with the motor in one position (if you know whic ones)
Old 08-23-2007, 07:16 AM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

yes, you are right. Many can be adjusted while in one position and the rest I think can be set with the crank spun to 1 more position. I don't have the specifics, but either get a manual,web search or someone who knows exactly may post. One more thing, DON'T tighten the rocker down until you can't turn it! You will break something again. Tighten it down so it just contacts the lifter, and then 1/2 turn.Remember your lifters are hydrolic, and are pumped up with oil pressure. There is a spring inside the lifter, and when you tighten it down til you can't turn it, you collapse the spring. 1/2 turn after contact is all you need.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

and to answer raphs50, it depends on which kind of rockers you have now. even though you have stock heads, we would need to know if you have pedestal style rollers or if you have a stud conversion kit and stud mounted rollers.

Quick Reply: Reinstalling Rockers