5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help! Fuel Pump Died

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

Default Help! Fuel Pump Died

Well I pulled into Jerry's and when I came back out I got nothing. Turn the key to the on position and the fuel pump does not make a sound. Now I was going to get a BBK fuel pump, but my boss / owner of a speed shop says not to go with BBK because he has had lots of problems with them in the past, and they say to go with either Edelbrock, or Holley, and to also go with a 190LPH pump. What pump and size do you think I should go with, I need to order one up today so its here the first of the week, also should I order up a fuel pressure regulator and gauge, and if so what brand? thank guys
Old 08-24-2007, 12:04 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Fuel Pump Died

I'm assuming this is for your 92 Mustang. If you need a new fuel pump, I see no reason to get anthing other than a 255lph pump. They can be found on eBay for about $100 or so.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:06 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I just checked ebay and found a bunch of Walbro 255lph fuel pumps for $99. Shipping was between $0 and $7.99 depending on the auction. Walbro is the brand you want to go with anyway so might as well get it for cheap.

Edited to add: If you want to get a regulator, get a Kirban Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator. I got mine from blue oval industries for $85. A few places have them for slightly cheaper out there. But either way, that's a great quality regulator.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:08 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

yes this is for my 1992 mustang...well thats what i was thinking, but my boss said if i got a 255, i would need a fpr and by turning the pressure down,, i would burn the pump up faster? yea ive seen em on ebay, but im not a fan of ebay, so id like to stick with jegs, even though its a little more cash unfortunately... but do you agree that edelbrock and holley would be the top picks? i havent had to do this before so any input would help.. thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 12:17 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

okay so going with a 255lph walbro pump is the way to go!? and a kirban fpr, what about a gauge? also, i dont have really any mods to my motor, so i dont want to hurt anthing? I was also thinking bigger fuel rails, or better ones rather
Old 08-24-2007, 12:17 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wildsurfer92

yes this is for my 1992 mustang...well thats what i was thinking, but my boss said if i got a 255, i would need a fpr and by turning the pressure down,, i would burn the pump up faster? yea ive seen em on ebay, but im not a fan of ebay, so id like to stick with jegs, even though its a little more cash unfortunately... but do you agree that edelbrock and holley would be the top picks? i havent had to do this before so any input would help.. thanks
Couple things to add. First, your boss is crazy. In our cars, a larger pump will not hurt or harm anything and you will not need to make and adjustments like that. Matter of fact, you can run a 255lph pump on a bone stock 5.0 with no problems. Any excess fuel gets returned to the tank. It's not going to burn out the pump or throw off your tune or anything.

Those brands are okay, but I'd still stick with Walbro, even if you get it elsewhere. Their performance is typically rock solid and I can't recall ever running into someone who wasn't happy with theirs.

Also keep in mind that many people who sell things like that on eBay are actually decent sized dealers that have their own shops or sites (blue oval industries, Dyno Tune Nitrous, Texas Hot Rods, even T&L Engines and those guys build NASCAR engines.) As long as it's a new unit from a good source and not from some high school kid who pulled it from his friend's car, tehn you will most likely be fine.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:19 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

okay so going with a 255lph walbro pump is the way to go!? and a kirban fpr, what about a gauge? also, i dont have really any mods to my motor, so i dont want to hurt anthing? I was also thinking bigger fuel rails, or better ones rather
Chances are, you're not going to keep the gauge mounted and you're just going to use it to dial in your regulator. In that case just go to Auto Zone or something and buy one for $40 off the shelf. It will just screw into your schrader valve and let you make any changes to your regulator. When you're done, just remove it.

Bigger fuel rails = a HUGE waste of money for you. Maybe when you get in the 600+ HP range then you can think about it
Old 08-24-2007, 12:23 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

okay so we got a walbro 255lph fuel pump, a kirban adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and nothing else...rails are a waste...and I am straight...I dont plan on doing any major mods to the car for quite a while, but when i get the cash down the road..way down the road, id wanna go kenne bell, or turbo
Old 08-24-2007, 12:35 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

okay so we got a walbro 255lph fuel pump, a kirban adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and nothing else...rails are a waste...and I am straight...I dont plan on doing any major mods to the car for quite a while, but when i get the cash down the road..way down the road, id wanna go kenne bell, or turbo
Don't forget the off-the-shelf gauge so you cna set your fuel pressure with the regulator. (remove the vacuum line from the regulator and turn the screw until you get 30 - 40 PSI.) Here's the exact gauge that I use.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:47 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

Alright Everyhing is ordered up, thanks for all your help samseed. Ill keep you posted on how everything goes man

Quick Reply: Help! Fuel Pump Died