5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Junkyard/DIY Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:54 PM
sastangman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Junkyard performance

you can also use the starter from a 95' 5.0 on the 87-93
mustangs the starter is real small and comes in
handy if you have longtube headers.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:18 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Demon_Mustang
Equal lengths might not fit correctly with the spark plugs when put upside down like that. Also, with twin turbos it's not really horrible to have unequal length shorties. In fact, my friend ran in the 11's with the Mustang I bought fairly recently and it has unequal length shorties...
Never said it was horrible, you'll just get more power & faster spool with equals. As for the fitment thing, I can't back up that, I've never tried to make a set fit.
ORIGINAL: stangster666
When doing a twin turbo setup how is the exhaust run after the turbo's and intercooler are installed. Does anyone have a picture. I mean is the h-pipe still useable?
You'll have to make the pipes custom, or have an exhaust shop do it for you. You can have them use the H or you can make a new one.
ORIGINAL: 93tripleWhiteLx
Ok, wait, you're telling me that there is a way to 'build' a twin turbo set-up using thunderbird turbo coupe parts?! If this is correct. I need more info. Because, I would love to start doing some mods like that to my basically stock stang but wouldn't even know where to begin. I mean, I know how it works but don't you have to have a custom made header that is specifically designed for that kind of a bolt on? And what about the intake? And who makes these parts... I think you're getting way to over the top with this being a 'junkyard' parts pull.
Well, if you get the parts from the salvage yard & the prices are like they are around here, you could have a complete twin turbo kit for a 5.0 for around $700. So making something that goes for $7000 with $700 using junkyard parts isn't considered the junk yard route?
Old 06-21-2005, 06:29 PM
blue50lx
2nd Gear Member

Ok, wait, you're telling me that there is a way to 'build' a twin turbo set-up using thunderbird turbo coupe parts?! If this is correct. I need more info.

I don't know how much help this would be but this guy on here made his own TT setup with a set of turbos he bought from a junkyard for 60 bucks or whatever. I doesn't explain it that much but you could probably get ahold of him or atleast look at how he did it from the pictures.
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/turbo_projects/rs_mustang/

if you go down some he also has a short video, its in red.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:20 PM
link1235jeff
2nd Gear Member

and the stock headers work to
Old 06-22-2005, 10:18 PM
93tripleWhiteLx

Hey, that's a great little site for that set-up! His welds need some work but hey, pretty don't mean fast. The fastest cars at the track are 19 different shades of primer. Now, along this article that you've found, what is the likleyhood that you could find 2 different turbos with the same boost, but facing different directions so it would look store or factory bought. That would be nice. I like what I am seeing with this junkyard thread. I have been on the lookout for some gt40 heads and a better intake everyday. Not too much of a choice here. But, nonetheless, alot of tips are coming in handy of of this site.

MORE TWIN TURBO JUNKYARD INFO PLEASE!!!!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:55 PM
stangedout916

What ford comes with a 351? can you get them cheap at junkyards to build? also more parts to find?

chris
Old 07-12-2005, 04:02 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Hey, that's a great little site for that set-up! His welds need some work but hey, pretty don't mean fast. The fastest cars at the track are 19 different shades of primer. Now, along this article that you've found, what is the likleyhood that you could find 2 different turbos with the same boost, but facing different directions so it would look store or factory bought. That would be nice. I like what I am seeing with this junkyard thread. I have been on the lookout for some gt40 heads and a better intake everyday. Not too much of a choice here. But, nonetheless, alot of tips are coming in handy of of this site.
MORE TWIN TURBO JUNKYARD INFO PLEASE!!!!
You use a manual boost controller to set the boost pressure at the same levels. One can be made for $10-15 with parts from home depot.
To synchronize the wastegates you test the actuators with a vacuum/pressure hand pump. Hook up the pump to the actuator & make sure they both open to full open at the same pressure. Then make sure they both get the boost signal from the same vacuum line. Some people do trial & error runs which take quite a while & aren't accurate.

Those pages tell you everything you need to know to get the project done.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:35 PM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

Here is some info on explorer 5.0 intake manifolds for sn95 stangs.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/614.shtml
Old 07-26-2005, 11:00 PM
jcs2stangs

Can some one help me with a question I have on my 5.0?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:04 PM
jcs2stangs

Great< This is alot of help!

Quick Reply: Junkyard/DIY Performance