5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine not turning over

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:20 AM
347_Kevin

Default RE: Engine not turning over

Ok heres what happened last week that started all this. I was racing around when i started to hear a sort of tapping noise that got louder with rpms. I drove the car home, it still ran alrighty except for the noise. I took off the valve cover and found one of the rocker poly nuts had broken. I decided to check all the nuts and rockers because I hadent before. Now i go to put everything back together and it wont turn over. It doesnt make any sense to me that i drove it home alright, shut it off, and now it wont turn over.

Also, the sound right when it binds seems to be coming more towards the left side of the engine. So i put a extendable magnet in the plug holes to see if anything was in there and im not getting anything. I havent completly ruled that out because it was dark to really take a peek in there. I think that if i had broken or bent a valve i would have heard alot more noise the night the nut broke.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:02 AM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

did you readjust all the valves or just the one you replaced? How did you do your adjustment? Is it possible that you overtightened the valve, or maybe something is binding in there. Don't force it to turn over until you figure out what is going on or you could seriously damage something elce.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

well if you broke one of the studs off the tip where the poly nut is first what kind of rockers are you running??? If they are the comp magnums you need to replace all of them with slightly longer ones as the design of the rocker doesn't allow enough thread contact!!! trust me I know it happened to me.... with afr heads and that was the first question AFR asked me. Anyway with a broken studd and rocker the car should of been running slightly rough as that valve would not be opening.....you may be able to shine a small light in the plug hole and check for anything that may of fallen in there but most importantly I 'd follow the instructions on how to set lifter preload and set rockers to0 lash and then add a 1/4 to 1/2 turn after that but to do that you need to have that piston at top dead center or that valve being adjusted on the flat side of the cam lobe..... I usually bring each piston in the firing order to top dead center that way I can do both intake and exhaust at the same time.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:16 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

now if you bent a valve and he is hangin open
^ [sm=smiley32.gif]

lay a straight edge across the tops of all the valves and see if you have one thats stuck down - really you should be able to just look and see that without a straight edge. that would seem to make the most sense to me.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:23 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

now if you bent a valve and he is hangin open
^ [sm=smiley32.gif]

lay a straight edge across the tops of all the valves and see if you have one thats stuck down - really you should be able to just look and see that without a straight edge. that would seem to make the most sense to me.
That would just be too easy.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 AM
347_Kevin

so all the tops of the valves should be exactly the same height? Theres a few that are very slightly lower than the rest.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 PM
347_Kevin

I still dont know what to do next. It still doesnt make any sense to me that it wont turn over when it was running before. Im thinking about calling a mechanic my neighbor knows to just come down and see what might be wrong. I have no clue what would do this.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if the heads have had a valve job previously done some may be slightly higher.... is it binding while turning over by hand??
Old 08-28-2007, 07:31 PM
347_Kevin

Yea I get a few full cranks and it just stops.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

can you back it up at all??? I assume you had the intake off right??? drop something down one of the runners without noticing???

Quick Reply: Engine not turning over