5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine not turning over

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:45 PM
347_Kevin

Default Engine not turning over

I dont know if this is a stupid question or if im missing somthing but i cant crank the engine over. I get a few rotations and it just stops as if somthing is binding. All the spark plugs are out, rockers are off, belts are off, why would it be doing this? Shouldnt the engine spin freely? Anyone got any ideas?

Old 08-26-2007, 08:48 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine not turning over

ORIGINAL: 347_Kevin

I dont know if this is a stupid question or if im missing somthing but i cant crank the engine over. I get a few rotations and it just stops as if somthing is binding. All the spark plugs are out, rockers are off, belts are off, why would it be doing this? Shouldnt the engine spin freely? Anyone got any ideas?

put a socket and breaker bar on the crank and find out
Old 08-26-2007, 08:51 PM
347_Kevin

Oh sorry i didnt give any other information. I had everything off because i broke one of the bolts on the rocker. So im resistalling everything and ive been turning it over from the crank and it just stops. It ran just fine, besides that loose rocker, before i took all the parts off.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:57 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

well without the clutch pushed in i dont think it will
Old 08-26-2007, 09:01 PM
347_Kevin

I just tried it with the clutch pushed in, the cars in nuetral also, and theres still somthing stopping it. It doesnt make any sense to me.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:04 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

I just tried it with the clutch pushed in, the cars in nuetral also, and theres still somthing stopping it. It doesnt make any sense to me.
starter siezed?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:21 PM
347_Kevin

I dont know.....but this is starting to worry me. I dont think I could have really messed anything up because it was running before. Unless its somthing that isnt strong enough to stop a running engine. I guess ill take off the starter and see if it turns over?

On second thought, maybe it could be a bolt or somthing that fell in the manifold when i was taking the things off. If a bolt fell down in there it could stop it from turning. Its at the same spot where it stops so im thinking its when one of the pistons moves up.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:33 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

I dont know.....but this is starting to worry me. I dont think I could have really messed anything up because it was running before. Unless its somthing that isnt strong enough to stop a running engine. I guess ill take off the starter and see if it turns over?

On second thought, maybe it could be a bolt or somthing that fell in the manifold when i was taking the things off. If a bolt fell down in there it could stop it from turning. Its at the same spot where it stops so im thinking its when one of the pistons moves up.
how can a bolt enter the combustion chamber where the pistons are?

the valves stay closed, thats not possible.

now if you bent a valve and he is hangin open or he fell in their, there you have it.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:58 PM
347_Kevin

Anybody else have any ideas? So to check the valves I dont need to take the heads off right? Is there a tool to just take the valve springs off to make sure all the valves are looking good? Im still new at this and have never even gotten this far into an engine so all information is really appreciated.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:00 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

so you have all the plugs out, all the rockers off, and no accessorys on the motor, and its binding up?
not good.
there's a few possibilitys here, none of them are any good.

Quick Reply: Engine not turning over