5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default Electrical Issues

The other night i was driving around and my headlights were real dim, i looked at my volts and they were down real low, hitting almost 8. About 20 feet away from the house everything dies besides the motor, i guess my car was running off the battery. Next morning, start the car up and it wouldnt even crank over, then got it started after jumping it and i disconnected the negative battery cable from the battery and it kept running fine, so i wen't out and bought a new battery. Optima Red Top battery, real good batteries. Well i just got off work, and saw that my volts are low again, hitting almost 8. Once again..same spot near my house it dies and its just running off the battery. So now i have a completely dead battery, windows wont even roll up or down. What is causing all of this? I thought it was the alternator from the beginning but i was told if it kept running after i disconnected the battery than my alternator is fine.

My alternator does make some funny noises, can't really explain them. Also the car has lost alot of power, which is making me think i could have a fouled out spark plug maybe?

Old 08-27-2007, 05:30 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Electrical Issues

Time for an alternater, take the alt. to an auto zone and get it tested to be sure. That is not always true as far as taking the negative post off.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Black95MustangGT

The other night i was driving around and my headlights were real dim, i looked at my volts and they were down real low, hitting almost 8. About 20 feet away from the house everything dies besides the motor, i guess my car was running off the battery. Next morning, start the car up and it wouldnt even crank over, then got it started after jumping it and i disconnected the negative battery cable from the battery and it kept running fine, so i wen't out and bought a new battery. Optima Red Top battery, real good batteries. Well i just got off work, and saw that my volts are low again, hitting almost 8. Once again..same spot near my house it dies and its just running off the battery. So now i have a completely dead battery, windows wont even roll up or down. What is causing all of this? I thought it was the alternator from the beginning but i was told if it kept running after i disconnected the battery than my alternator is fine.

My alternator does make some funny noises, can't really explain them. Also the car has lost alot of power, which is making me think i could have a fouled out spark plug maybe?

8 volts and bad plug aren't related. Could be a bad voltage regulator (built into alternator) Bad Ground wire, or a shorted battery lead. Did you have the old battery tested before replacing it? Have your alternator either tested under a load or on the bench.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

No i didnt have the battery tested before i replaced it, but it was a ****ty battery anyway and i needed a new one.

How do i check for a bad ground wire? just follow some wires that run to the alternator or battery?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:43 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

follow the wires, make sure they are tight and make sure they are not corroded, might as well check the power leads as well.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

power leads? I think this is wrong, but is it the things on top of the battery that the + - connect to? If so, its a brand new battery.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

You should have a power and stator wire coming off the alt. the grounds should be coming from the solenoid and battery. I know that is how it is on the fox's
Old 08-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

i'm about to take it to advanced to get my alternator tested, if its **** im going to get a new one of course. The sn-95 come with the stock 130 amp right? I should just stay with the 130 amp, any brand i should stay away from? I can't afford much, i only have 100 until payday
Old 08-27-2007, 06:13 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

The 130 amp stock unit will be fine, get a lifetime unit if you can, that a way if it goes out you just get another one. I am not sure if $100 bucks will get you one. They are normally a bit more.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tmajikman

The 130 amp stock unit will be fine, get a lifetime unit if you can, that a way if it goes out you just get another one. I am not sure if $100 bucks will get you one. They are normally a bit more.

Doesn't advance carry re manufactured alternators for like 100?

Quick Reply: Electrical Issues