5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

air/fuel ratio questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:10 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: air/fuel ratio questions

ORIGINAL: 86GreenMachine

Would running 94 octane ,front mount intercooler ,and methanol injection be for 13-14.5??
If you don't go crazy with the timing, then I'd probably keep it 13.5 - 14.0. The methanol combined with the intercooler will make a huge difference.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:13 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprayed306

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Hey, some of us need to work! LoL [8D]

Holy ****, 15.2 at WOT? That's lean... REAL lean. I'd stay off the throttle until you can fix this issue. First things first, what's your full mod list, right down to the fuel pump. Also, are you sure your gauge is accurate and are you sure the wideband is calibrated properly? What's the AFR at idle and under normal driving conditions?
Well not sure how accurate the gauge is or how to calibrate it but its a brand new AEM gauge with sensor mounted next to the factory o2.Mods.306 9.5 compresion,255lph FP,afr 185's,comp cam 555/565,elde rpm2 intake,24lb,inj,pmas 75mm,70mm tb,bbk afpr,headers,o/r h pipe,2 chamber flows,1.6 rr's,4 10'sand thats about it.At idle it jumps from 16.0-18.0+ and pegs the gauge and normal driving on the highway 2400 rpm@ 70mph it jumps around 15.9-17.0.I have checked codes,balance test and everything passed.
I'd be curious to see what your short term and long term fuel trims look like. Strictly going by what you are saying here, I'm thinking that your wideband either isn't reading properly or isn't calibrated properly. Either that or you're REAL lean, but if that were the case your fuel trims should be able to bring that back into a more acceptable range when in Closed Loop.

What's the make / model of your wideband controller.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:16 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Curlytop

oh samseed is on his "A" game. i can't keep it on memory like that "bro". i'm a shedtree mech. show me something once and i'll have it down. i've been around fast cars my whole life. i can only talk about what i have experience. trail and error and plenty of error. however, this dude know his s##t.
In all fairness, I've been busy most evenings doing nothing but looking at datalogs and tuning several different mustangs... everything from 300 HP to 600 HP, lol. So it's all still pretty fresh in my mind. Matter of fact, when I get home today after work, It's straight to the laptop to analyze more datalogs and see what I can do about a fre quirks in some other tunes.

If I hadn't done it for awhile, I'd lose it too. This crap gets so damned complicated that it's easy to forget some of the stuff. Just like anything else... use it or lose it.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:19 PM
sprayed306

Hey, some of us need to work! LoL [8D]

Holy ****, 15.2 at WOT? That's lean... REAL lean. I'd stay off the throttle until you can fix this issue. First things first, what's your full mod list, right down to the fuel pump. Also, are you sure your gauge is accurate and are you sure the wideband is calibrated properly? What's the AFR at idle and under normal driving conditions?
Well not sure how accurate the gauge is or how to calibrate it but its a brand new AEM gauge with sensor mounted next to the factory o2.Mods.306 9.5 compresion,255lph FP,afr 185's,comp cam 555/565,elde rpm2 intake,24lb,inj,pmas 75mm,70mm tb,bbk afpr,headers,o/r h pipe,2 chamber flows,1.6 rr's,4 10'sand thats about it.At idle it jumps from 16.0-18.0+ and pegs the gauge and normal driving on the highway 2400 rpm@ 70mph it jumps around 15.9-17.0.I have checked codes,balance test and everything passed.
I'd be curious to see what your short term and long term fuel trims look like. Strictly going by what you are saying here, I'm thinking that your wideband either isn't reading properly or isn't calibrated properly. Either that or you're REAL lean, but if that were the case your fuel trims should be able to bring that back into a more acceptable range when in Closed Loop.

What's the make / model of your wideband controller.
Its a A.E.M 30-4100. i bought this gauge from jegs and it came with no instructions so i dont know if i can calibrate it.[:@] thanks for the help so far
Old 09-05-2007, 02:37 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Its a A.E.M 30-4100. i bought this gauge from jegs and it came with no instructions so i dont know if i can calibrate it.[:@] thanks for the help so far
Check out this link here. It's the instructions for your wideband. Towards the bottom, you will see it mention calibeations. it will refer to the different calibrations as well out output voltage, etc (selected by turning a screw.) Make sure that it is set properly.

Edited to add: of course, it's also a good idea to check out all of the instructions to make sure it is wired properly.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 PM
sprayed306

Check out this link here. It's the instructions for your wideband. Towards the bottom, you will see it mention calibeations. it will refer to the different calibrations as well out output voltage, etc (selected by turning a screw.) Make sure that it is set properly.

Edited to add: of course, it's also a good idea to check out all of the instructions to make sure it is wired properly.
I have the gauge wired correct.I was letting the car run while i adjusted the gauge and i set it to p2 and now the gauge reads 15.0-16.2@ idle so it is reading lower and when i rev it up now it will hit 12.4-14.0,it has never done that before.Its saying something in the instructionsabout lambda,linear,nonlinear,autronic and im lost on that kind of stuff[&o]if you wouldnt mind check it out please and see if you know what setting i should use.Thanks bro
Old 09-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

What do those little jewels run?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:14 PM
sprayed306

ORIGINAL: Texas5.0

What do those little jewels run?
299.00 from jegs
Old 09-05-2007, 04:19 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

If you don't know what LAMBDA is and don't want to use it (most people don't) then you'll want to use P0. That will give you your AFR. That should be linear. In other words, 0v = an AFR of 10:1, 1v = 12, 2v = 14, etc.. That's typically how they go... all the way up to 20.0:1.

I guess it's possible that you really are running that lean, but it seems unusual. I may have missed it before, but what's your fuel pressure with the vacuum off?

If I could see datalogs or something like that, then i could tell right away. I'm still leaning towards the fact that you're not really that lean and it's a gauge issue or a sensor issue. If you can, just for te hell of it remove your stock narrowband sensor on the opposite side and run this sensor in that bung for a short period of time. For the first 30 sec or so you are running in closed loop anyway and the car won't be reading the O2 sensors. But as soon as it goes to closed loop, expect the car to run like **** this way

I'm just curious what it reads in a different position.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:33 PM
sprayed306

If you don't know what LAMBDA is and don't want to use it (most people don't) then you'll want to use P0. That will give you your AFR. That should be linear. In other words, 0v = an AFR of 10:1, 1v = 12, 2v = 14, etc.. That's typically how they go... all the way up to 20.0:1.

I guess it's possible that you really are running that lean, but it seems unusual. I may have missed it before, but what's your fuel pressure with the vacuum off?

If I could see datalogs or something like that, then i could tell right away. I'm still leaning towards the fact that you're not really that lean and it's a gauge issue or a sensor issue. If you can, just for te hell of it remove your stock narrowband sensor on the opposite side and run this sensor in that bung for a short period of time. For the first 30 sec or so you are running in closed loop anyway and the car won't be reading the O2 sensors. But as soon as it goes to closed loop, expect the car to run like **** this way

I'm just curious what it reads in a different position.
FP is 42 vac off.Also whats weird is at idle its about 15.0-16.2 and when i shut off the car and fire it back up the gauge will read 12.5-13.8 @idle and soon as i give it a rev it will go back to reading 15.0-16.2.Would unpluging the o2's work instead of switching them?if not i can try to switch them.Im doubting that this thing is lean too,it smells like gas coming out the exhaustpipes.

Quick Reply: air/fuel ratio questions