5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What went wrong

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:23 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default What went wrong

I installed my Taurus 3.8 fan today, I am waiting on my dc controller... I put the fan in, ran the yellow brown to the temporary toggle switch and to a fuse in the fuse box. I ran the ground directly to the negative of thebattery, it ran great for a while but I smelt something on the way home, the spot that I used for the power lead(#10 wire) melted around the whole fuse and totally melted the fuse. I used a 30 amp fuse for the power lead wire, the 15 amp blew when I tried to turn the switch on the first time, thats why I upped the fuse amperage. What needs to be done to correct this issue until I get my controller. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:26 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What went wrong

You used a 15 amp fuse. It blew. So you put in a 30 amp fuse. Now it blew. Have you considered wrapping it in aluminum foil?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

It's simple the amperage draw of the fan is greater then the switch or fuse can handle....if memory serves me right the tauras fans originally had a 60 amp maxi fuse that supplied current to the set up......you'll definately need to wire a relay is or get a high amperage rated switch but best bet is a relayprotected by a fuse
Old 09-05-2007, 09:36 PM
CHILLERMAN
1st Gear Member

If your fan requires a 60 amp circuit, then you may want to size up the wire a little. Maybe an 8 ga. would be better. Also find a heavy duty relay to carry the load of the fan and take the load off the switch. You should be able to find all this at a local auto parts store.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:37 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

You used a 15 amp fuse. It blew. So you put in a 30 amp fuse. Now it blew. Have you considered wrapping it in aluminum foil?
I know That was not to bright of an idea but, I thought these fan only drew a lot of current when they first turned on, that was why I used the 30 amp, and I figured it would blow if it got too hot.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:40 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CHILLERMAN

If your fan requires a 60 amp circuit, then you may want to size up the wire a little. Maybe an 8 ga. would be better. Also find a heavy duty relay to carry the load of the fan and take the load off the switch. You should be able to find all this at a local auto parts store.
So I am actually better off to wiat for my dc fan controller, Finding a 75 amp relay is a pita. No auto parts store around me seems to have one big enough.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:40 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Definately get that relay in there, and try upping the wire size.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:42 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Where should I get the power from, the fuse box still? Won't a relay just help me with the intial start up of the fan.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'd wait to get the fan controller before going any further the tauras fans draw alot of current on initial start up but then levels off once it's spinning.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

I'd wait to get the fan controller before going any further the tauras fans draw alot of current on initial start up but then levels off once it's spinning.
I knew they drew alot of current at startup but I guess they still draw a good bit when they level out as well. Thanks for the input everyone.

Quick Reply: What went wrong