5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

looking for a 5.0 project car. lots of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:41 AM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

Default looking for a 5.0 project car. lots of questions.

i am looking for a 5.0 project car and have some questions. i plan on this being my drag car, so i dont really care if it is very streetable because it really wont be on the street that much and wont be a DD (my 96 is going to be my DD). i want this carput up insane NA numbers and i do not want a superchager/turbo.i am looking to spend 2-3k on a high milage 5.0 with a good body. i am not going to ask about mods on this post because i already have an idea of what i want to do because i used to hang out in the 5.0 section all the time. this is going to be a project that i will slowly work on over the next year or two, and i plan to do almost all of the work myself. i know iwant the final result to be carbed, so here are my questions:

1. would i be better off starting efi than switch to carbed, or start carbed in the first place?
2. would i be better off strking the 302 to 347, or swapping in a 351W?
3. what is the highest compression ratio you can run with a good tune on 93 octane?
4. if i go 351W, which year block should i look for? i know that i have heard that some years are better than others for different reasons.
5. is there anything else importiant that i should be asking?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: looking for a 5.0 project car. lots of questions.

1. If you want carb, start with carb
2.You are better off with a 351
3.I run a little over 11:1 compression with my 351 block and use 93 octane. With higher compression
you need to retard timing. I run a total of 33 degree's timing
4.The best block would be a 69 with standard bore but they are hard to come by. I would try to stick
with a70's block, but any 351 blockcan handle morepower than a 302, whatever block you get
i would stick with a standard bore unless it is fresh from the machine shop, i would not go more
than .030 over.
5. You just need to see what your budget looks like and take your time. It is ok if you cant buy
everything at once. My engine has stage 2 ported TF's, victor jr intake, holley HP 750, custom grind
cam with the 1.7 RR i have 625/661 lift and duration is 246/259 @ .050. You also have to budget
suspension and tranny. I have the TKO-600. Suspension consist of Metco uppers and lowers, sub-
frame conn., axle tubes and torque boxes are welded, moser 31 spline axles,c-clip elem. and MAC
rear-end girdle and i have drag susp. with air bag. There is a long list of mods to my car, but
it can take a while to get everything you need.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:21 AM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

fastblack: if you dont mind me asking, what numbers are you pushing?

what does the 351W block max out with forged internals?

hopefully i will get something that will run for a little while before i do the swap... my first priority is weight reduction and suspension so i can get a good launch, then i willdo basic supporting mods, then the swap.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:41 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I havnt had it on a dyno yet, but i am sure i am pushing over 400 rwhp. It seems the consensus is that the 351 block will handle around 700 hp at the flywheel. I am running the stock crank, the windsor cranks are pretty strong, but the rods are forged I-beams and the pistons are Diamond Racing Pistons, and all of their pistons are forged.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:17 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

would the tranny from the 302 bolt up to the 351W? i am still not sure if i want to go auto or manual, the odds are that i will stick with whatever the car i buy has already.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:22 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Yes, you can use the same tranny, just maybe not for long if plan on making a lot of power.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:25 PM
TAPOUT
2nd Gear Member

How far along of a project are you looking for? I am considering selling my 347 stroker 88 GT. I have a ton of money in it, and it just needs some time and minor tweaking. I don't think I will be asking for what I have in the motor alone. Check the sig for some of the stats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154592
Old 09-06-2007, 01:25 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

im not totally sure when i will have the money, but hopefully i will be able to get it at or around graduation (may 2008). if i find a good deal for like 2k, i will be able to get it in february or march. im just trying to figure it all out. there is also a chance i would buy the motor first if one comes along before i get the car, but i dont have the money right yet.

i have read the weight reduction thread, but the link that tells how much weight is taken off, about how many pounds could i drop with basic weight reduction and a tubular k member and a arms?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:44 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

i plan on getting a near bullit proof tranny because i want to make a ton of power, but i just wanted to know if i had to switch to a c-4 or something.

if i went auto, i would go with a really high stall, good shift kit, and a tranny cooler so that i could keep up with a stick.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:34 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Do you live near Delaware cause i have a 86 T-top 5.0 5 speed that need to be redone for sale cheap

Quick Reply: looking for a 5.0 project car. lots of questions.