5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Roadside issue

Old 09-19-2007, 01:34 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Default Roadside issue

Alright, I'm just going to start off with the fact I am still learning about cars, and more specifically I am VERY new to 5.0's.

I just purchased one not long ago, and the engine and transmission are essentially new, and run great. I was heading down to the gas station after cranking it up to make sure everything looks/sounds right to my knowledge, and when coming home we smelled something burning. Seconds afterwards we hear the belt rubbing. Smoke starts pouring out from the hood so we immediately pull over because I really didn't want to risk destroying the car and pissing down alot of money after a rebuild. Turns out the belts got loose and burned a section of it off and snapped.

The battery was also (coveniently) very weak, and nearly dead so we called someone we knew for a jump to see if we could get the car back to my house since it was literally a 1/4th mile away from my house. While trying to crank it, the starter apparently jammed while cranking and we cut one of the power wires to stop it before it fried up the starter, alternator, or something along those lines. It was trying to turn for about 30-45 seconds, which is a considerably long time.

Question is - from the information I have provided, what is the very worst extent of the damage I should expect? I already know I need a new belt. That's a given.The car still easily tried to start after we cut the wire, but I assume I may need another starter. I don't think the engine seized up, because otherwise it probably wouldn't do anything at all.

Can you guys think of anything else I may want to look into? I do know some things and how to pull them off and put them back in and all that since they really aren't hard to do, but I definitely do not want to be ill-minded and do something like blow my engine or tranny considering I just spent alot getting that fixed. Any help would be appreciated as I'm trying to be very careful with this car.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:39 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Roadside issue

Id check the belt tensioner.

My starter occasionally sticks on. It usually stops once I rev the motor hard enough.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:45 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't think that there would be any engine damage. You may want to think about replacing the solenoid though. I've had the starter stick on my truck a couple times and aftertapping the solenoid with a hammer it would stop and I'd just restart itwith no problems. That might be harder to do on the 'stang though because of where the solenoid is located (on the starter).
Old 09-19-2007, 01:48 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Your starter sticking problem is likely the solenoid. Instead of cutting wires, you should have disconnected the batt.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: golden_eye

I wouldn't think that there would be any engine damage. You may want to think about replacing the solenoid though. I've had the starter stick on my truck a couple times and aftertapping the solenoid with a hammer it would stop and I'd just restart itwith no problems. That might be harder to do on the 'stang though because of where the solenoid is located (on the starter).
The starter solenoid is mounted to the driver's side inner fender, atleast on fox bodies.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:21 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PJB

ORIGINAL: golden_eye

The starter solenoid is mounted to the driver's side inner fender, atleast on fox bodies.
Yes, on the fox's, i think 94 and up it may have been on the starter;
Old 09-19-2007, 02:49 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

I would have disconnected it, but the connections were on too tight. I didn't have any tools on me at the time, so that wasn't an option. I have plenty of length on the wire still left, so that isn't a problem.

- thanks for the suggestions so far, though. I'll definitely take a look to see if the solenoid is still functioning freely, or if it needs to be replaced or what not.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:14 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Oh my bad, I'm not quite as familiar with the Fox's as I am with the SN-95's. Yeah the solenoid is definately on the starter in the '94 and up models.