5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Coolant blowing out of overflow tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 03:06 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Default Coolant blowing out of overflow tank

I just took my car out for a decent ride and when I pulled in the driveway coolant blew out of the overflow tank.
Most of the driving was around 45 mph or so and in and out of traffic.

I cant seem to figure out why its doing that because it never used to do that before the heads and cam were installed and I put in a 160* thermostat a few weeks ago and everything seemed fine.

On the highway the car runs cool but the temp gauge creeps up while in traffic or idling.

Its got the stock radiator and clutch fan.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:09 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Coolant blowing out of overflow tank

ORIGINAL: PJB

I just took my car out for a decent ride and when I pulled in the driveway coolant blew out of the overflow tank.

I cant seem to figure out why its doing that because it never used to do that before the heads and cam were installed and I put in a 160* thermostat a few weeks ago and everything seemed fine.

On the highway the car runs cool but the temp gauge creeps up while in traffic or idling.

Thats cause of the 160 thermostat. Put either a 180 or stock back in it. With the 160 the radiator never get a chance to cool the fluid.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:17 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

It was worse with the higher temperature thermostat.
The 160* helped alot- it used to overheat all the time in traffic before putting the 160* in.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Matt Paul
1st Gear Member

You awnsered your own question, it all started after the head and cam install.You either put the head gaskets on wrong or you have a blown head gasket or a cracked head these are the only thingthat wouldcause the coolant to "blow out of the over flow and bubble".
Old 09-26-2007, 03:23 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

The 160* helped alot- it used to overheat all the time in traffic before putting the 160* in.
Ok. I was just going from my experience. I need a radiator too though. But if it helped. Thats good.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:25 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Matt Paul
You awnsered your own question, it all started after the head and cam install.You either put the head gaskets on wrong or you have a blown head gasket or a cracked head these are the only thingthat wouldcause the coolant to "blow out of the over flow and bubble".
Its not all the time though and theres no leaks or oil in the coolant.
The heads are brand new and Im pretty sure the headgaskets were installed right (I didnt change them).
Old 09-26-2007, 03:54 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

then you have a problem somewhere else, theres no need for a stat lower then 180*
Old 09-26-2007, 04:13 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L
then you have a problem somewhere else, theres no need for a stat lower then 180*
I dont really know what the problem is or how to check it out. I didnt see anything obvious like coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant.
I know its not a leak because theres no puddles and theres plenty of coolant.
I dont think pressure testing will help any.

A few of my friends and other guys with Mustangs said to put in the 160* thermostat so I did, figuring they knew what they were talking about.
One also thinks I might need a better radiator and/or electric fan.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:19 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

My mustang was doing that, it was from a blown head gasket. It was blowing compression past the gasket into the coolant. Mine progressively got worse to and did it every time I drove towards the end.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:02 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

The electric fan will help more then most things to helping with the overheating. Unless you get some hugely expensive rad, it will help more then anything. And you can get them for cheap off a taurus in the junk yard,and pick-up some gas mileage as well.

Quick Reply: Coolant blowing out of overflow tank