Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
87chp
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 87 CHP
Default Power Windows, locks, mirrors conversion

I have a 1987 coupe. I have manualeverything and I'm looking to switch to power windows, locks and mirrors. Is it possible? What all do I have to do?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 09-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
dangstang92
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Power Windows, locks, mirrors conversion

Someone else would know this for sure.....I want to say the wiring harness has the wires for the power accessories already in place, you would just tap into them. If not, it would be easy to tap into a switched power source. For the windows you need the motor and window regulator, maybe some other hardware too. Locks need the actuators and some other hardware. For the windows and locks, there should be predrilled holes in the door and should be a bolt in process. For the mirrors, you obviously need power ones, just replace the current manual mirrors with the power ones and run wires to the harness. And you will need the power window/lock switch panels for both doors and the square power mirror adjuster. Oh, and get new door panels that have no window crank holes and arm rests from a power windows car. Check Ebay, you can get used equiptment with factory wires in place. Have you searched on the forum, surely someone on here has done this before....

Past 5 Liter Fox Bodies Convertibles -- 89 GT, 89 LX and 99 GT
dangstang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

fwi, I wouldn't mess with the Ford lock solenoids. They're pretty expenesive and a pain to install. Get some univeral solenoids from parts express for $5/ea and mount 'em up however you like. I have one one my driver's door (passenger is still OEM Ford) and it works perfectly.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I have power and wish i had manual, there is a lot less stuff to malfunction. Personally i would spend the money on something else, JMO.

Formerly known as FASTBLACK
WhiteWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
stang8689
6th Gear Member

FYI GET Ford door lock actuaters. You need to change the window regulators, the mirrors also have some relays.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
ACE
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 90 notch
Send a message via AIM to ACE

FYI Get pre loaded doors from the junkyard and save the hastle

Windsor powah!
1985 GT 1986 GT sunroof 1986 GT T-top 90 notch and a side of a yellow vert
ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
adumb
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

I have power and wish i had manual, there is a lot less stuff to malfunction. Personally i would spend the money on something else, JMO.
i am exactly with you... for me they are older cars and i only drive them on sundays. i plan on having it for along time and i would love to get rid of the power options. have you had any luck with research on how to get rid of them.... i can't find any remanufacturered door panels that aren't for power
adumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 87 LX 5.0 (on life support), 83 Capri RS
Send a message via AIM to raven_ghostwolf Send a message via Yahoo to raven_ghostwolf

The only power my 87 notch came with was the 5.0. I added power mirrors, door locks, gas door and trunk release. Since my car got hit recently and I had to replace a door, I just replaced both doors with full power doors, I didn't want the added weight originally but then again I'm doing something else I haven't seen yet before on a fox.

I did all this along time ago so I will do my best from memory to tell you what you will need. It is very labor intensive and time consuming.

For starters to add any power options to your doors there is a jumper harness you will have to add under the dash. It plugs into your factory harness for power. If you have a u-pull-it yard to get one from, that would be best as you can see how the harness connects. It will have connections that run to 2 plugs for each door (one for mirrors and the other for locks/windows) and one that connects to the mirror switch in the console.

For the doors I will be easiest if you can get ones that already have the power stuff, especially the windows. Those are the most difficult to change as you will need the motors and the new registers, glass and a rivit gun to install them.
The mirrors are the easiest swap out, you have to make sure to get the inside trim "blanks" to go where your manual mirror ***** where. Also for the mirrors you will need the console switch. There are 2 different ones, one with a pig tail and one that plugs direct to the switch. Make sure you get the correct one for the harness you get. Lucky for me when I did mine I had access to both kinds and a spare harness I made an adapter for myself so I can use both style of switches. You will also either have to cut a perfectly sized hole in your console or change it out with one that has the hole already in it.
Door locks will require the actuators and you will need to drill a hole to mount them and a rivit gun to install them.

Don't forget the new door panels and arm rest if you go power windows, the manual window door panels are more different than just a hole for the hand crank, also you will need the arm rest for full power doors.
If you go with just mirrors and locks you can use you arm rest and panels all you have to find is the door lock switches that replace the little square at the top of your arm rest. Good luck finding those switches, I'd offer you mine but I traded my panels and old doors for part of the new stuff for my full power doors. I know someone locally who might be able to get those for you.

As far as the door wiring there are 2 different harnesses, both work with the same jumper harness. One harness for full-power doors the other for just locks & mirrors. The plug for the lock switches are totally different between the 2.

Ok I think I got everything listed at least you have a better starting point than I did when I converted mine. Good luck with it, if you have any questions with it once you start just ask and I will try to answer them for you.

Stupidity and hydrogen, however, are still by far the most abundent things in the entire universe.- MykTurk
raven_ghostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #9
MustangsX
1st Gear Member

i got power doors i wanna put on my 97 gt..
do i just need to tap into the wiring harness or what?

JumpInTheFire.com
87 Mustang GT 5-spd - 97 Mustang GT 5-spd - 97 Camaro automatic - 98 Firebird 5-spd- 99 Mustang 5-spd SOLD
MustangsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:36 AM   #10
w8less
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 87 piece of sh!t

where are you located i am wanting to switch to manual everything. if you are close enough i will trade you entire doors

w8less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:36 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
89, 98, control, conversion, fox, locks, manual, mirror, mustang, mustangsxs, power, relays, swapped, windows, windowslocksmirrors