5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mass Air Conversion Kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Mass Air Conversion Kits

im staying sd as long as i can... stock for stock, its quicker... and... well yea, adder prty much said it all...
Old 10-10-2007, 11:35 AM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

is there ways to get it so it doesnt surge though? since i went back to mass air ive had no problems.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:50 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

if you are already mass air.. leave it that way... you have already spent the money on the conversion

Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

I'm debating what I Need in my 67 that has an 88 5.0.. It has ported heads and intakes (Stock though), B303 cam with springs, larger throttle bodies, CAI and exhaust (Might even be straight exhaust but I doubt it), underdrive and other little things.. It has SD right now, but I'm wondering if I can keep it like that. It was running like crap with it before, but who knows what the problem is. I won't be tuning either the SD or the MAF in the near future...
Old 10-10-2007, 04:47 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

i herd sd doesnt responde as good to mods, cuz its doesnt know the extra air is coming in so it cant compinsate enuf fuel for it. is this true? i am sd. can someone explain to me how it work, i think i was told wrong. thats its programed fo rhow much the gas pendle is down to how much fuel to put in.. ahhh i think i was told wrong. i was planning on converting when i start modding alot but now idk
Old 10-10-2007, 05:13 PM
F250sd
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rydinturbo

i herd sd doesnt responde as good to mods, cuz its doesnt know the extra air is coming in so it cant compinsate enuf fuel for it. is this true? i am sd. can someone explain to me how it work, i think i was told wrong. thats its programed fo rhow much the gas pendle is down to how much fuel to put in.. ahhh i think i was told wrong. i was planning on converting when i start modding alot but now idk
www.fordfuelinjection.com

From what I have heard, the SD system is stronger in the stangs stock for stock. From what I gather, is that the only things that really limit a SD system would be cams that don't pull much vaccume. The computer should still be able to adjust fuel mixtures for more air by using the O2 sensors.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
CHILLERMAN
1st Gear Member

Stock for stock, speed density cars are faster than MAF. Yes speed density cars may be harder to tune around heavy mods. But it can be done. You should listen to Addermk2 when he gives advice on this. He knows his smack about speed density. When I did my mods this past winter, he gave me some very valuable info. I chose to go MAF at the time due to my lack of experience with this. I still have all of my speed density stuff and can go back to it at any time. Maybe when I get a wild hair up my but and have plenty of time to play around with the car, I may do so.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:07 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

im prob. going to be buying a cam specifically for SD... even though i have a mass air computer, and a mass air meter sitting at my house...
Old 10-10-2007, 10:48 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

My Dadhas s.d in his 87, i bought him everything for the MAF conversion. I have been reading about s.d and told him to leave it. I can get some money back and put into the 86.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 PM
88natchback
1st Gear Member

it may be true that SD is better stock for stock but not a lot of us are build stock cars. When i do a h/c/i swap i would like to be able to use a cam of my choosing and not one thats limited by my comp. But i also dont know as much about this as adder, you can use a stand alone, megasquirt something or other with an sd right? Anyone using one of those that could tell me what they are and how they work?

Quick Reply: Mass Air Conversion Kits