5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

lifter help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 PM
highskewlmustnglvr86
2nd Gear Member

Default lifter help!!

well my engine is starting to tick again...last time it did it was a lifter and wiped out my cam and lifters....well now it started ticking again....so before i wipe out the cam again is there anyway to unstick a lifter without taking everything down? also, what could be causing all my lifters to keep wiping out? what is a suggested oil and weight? could this be causing it? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks tyler
Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: lifter help!!

Is this a new or rebuilt motor??? if it's a high milage motor that has been run hard and put away wet..there may be blockages in the oil passages from sludge build up or a oil galley plug in the front of the motor under the timing cover could of blown out...IT happened to me once and after a hard run it'd tick loud and at an idle be somewhat more quiet....turns out one of the galley plugs blew out.... causing it to loose oil pressure...these plugs allow constant pressure to the lifters/ bores...when missing the lifters won't fully pump up to control hydraulic lash....you'd have to do an oil pressure test with a mechanical gauge..it may or may not pick up anything because where your tapping off the port is close to the pump...so the only way to confirm it...is what I did ....remove timing cover and inspect the oil galley plugs around the camshaft trust plate also did you use new lifters and set the preload correctly on them???
Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 PM
highskewlmustnglvr86
2nd Gear Member

yes the lifters where put in correctly and the engine only has about 950 miles on it...would a thicker oil help? or is there something to un stick the lifter? also do you have a pic of the galley plug?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:22 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no sorry no pic...but maybe if you posted a video of the noise we could determine if it were excessive...sometimes if you have roller rockers..they can be just plain noisy........the plugs are shapped like a bowl and no larger than the size of your thumb nail...what are the details behind this motor?? what happened in the first place and why?? are all the lifters brand new???
Old 11-09-2007, 10:35 PM
highskewlmustnglvr86
2nd Gear Member

well it was a 4banger but i changed it....the engine is out of a 90 lincoln mark vii... yes it is a roller...i took it all the way down rebiult it with new bearings(this is not the noise) oil pump, water pump, gaskets, and everything. one day it started ticking and i thought it might be a bent pushrod or vave until my cam wiped out and all my lifter were bad...so i changed the cam and after finally getting it running yesterday it started ticking after i drove it. i dont want to take the risk of ruining this cam as i cant afford another cam swap...and i swapped the lifters out of another 5.0 ho.
thanks tyler
Old 11-09-2007, 10:43 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

hmmmm??? when you say it damaged the lifters and cam....did it damage them so it wore off the cam lobe surface as to put hard surface material throughout the engine?? evident by metallic particals in the oil???......what ever caused the first faliure obviously the root cause is still present........if it's a ticking noise due to a bad lifter...it'll be hard to rule out stuff like that when using used parts..that's why I always like to use known good parts......you may have to pull the timing cover and check the galley plugs so confirm that your not bleeding off oil pressure through an open galley port due to a missing plug...that's about all I can say without seeing the car in person to do a visual and audible diagnostic
Old 11-10-2007, 06:51 AM
highskewlmustnglvr86
2nd Gear Member

ok im gonna try and get a video up soon...and yea the cam was damaged a little but the lifters that were in there were really scarred up and some broke in half wear the roller is a the bottom
Old 11-10-2007, 07:02 AM
highskewlmustnglvr86
2nd Gear Member

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_08.html
are the two shiny things the oil galley plugs?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:04 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

the one directly next to the cam hole is the oil feeding hole for the cam, the one slightly above is one of the lifter feeding holes. there is another to the right, but cannot be seen in that pic
Old 11-26-2008, 11:29 PM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by highskewlmustnglvr86

i cant afford another cam swap...and i swapped the lifters out of another 5.0 ho.
thanks tyler
I'll bet one of the new/old/used lifters is going bad? The stock lifters are crap from what I've heard, especially after they get some miles on them. They can't handle too much spring pressure, bigger cam, higher rocker ratios, etc either, at least not for too long.

I'm having a similar issue. I'll let you know how my situation goes but I think my roller lifters are toast also and I plan on replacing them asap with NEW. New Ford Racing roller lifters are less than $130

Quick Reply: lifter help!!