5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Will these heads fit an 86 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:59 PM
brettleh

Default Will these heads fit an 86 5.0

I know the 86 5.0 used flat top pistons, and I am currently running that motor. I have converted to carb however. I have some wonderful valve chatter on my motor, and found someone selling new heads on craigslist. I want to know if they will even work with my motor, as I have seen that even GT40 heads sometimes wont work depending on how they are built?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...759899096.html

That is the link to the heads I am looking at. I really hope they will fit my motor, because the guy is local, and I would really like new heads... that aren't iron...

Also, does switching from iron heads to aluminum heads help keep the motor cooler? Physics says yes but I'm not the most familiar with V8 engines.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Your cam is going to be the determining factor. The best bet is to look up the application for the head and see what notes they have for the 86. Contact their tech support if need more info. http://www.racingheadservice.com/
Unless its a purpose built race engine the main advantage of aluminum is the weight savings, not that they run cooler.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brettleh
I have converted to carb however. I have some wonderful valve chatter on my motor
You probably need to back off on your timing. What's it set at?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:30 PM
brettleh

I bought the car the way it sits now, and right now the motor can easily get up to 250* and cause the starter to well... not start... I have not checked the coolant yet, and will be doing that as well.

The seller told me it has a "mild cam" for low end torque (previous owner wanted to drift with it)

as far as timing, I couldnt tell you where its at, I have no idea how to check timing? We played with the distributor and got er running smoother, but she likes to tick... a good bit.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

They will not work. My buddy tried to build an 86 motor with an F and e7 heads, IIRC. His valves hit.

A "mild" cam with stock heads might be alright. Depends on what that person defines as mild. Aluminum heads with 2 inch intake valves, assuming with upgraded springs to compliment them, and anything more than a B cam I'm pretty sure will hit. Look up the clay test and test for yourself though, you never know. IMO, I wouldn't buy them for that motor.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:36 PM
brettleh

http://www.racingheadservice.com/rhs...nder-head.html

This is the head at RHS website if it makes any difference. I think its just a "slight mild" cam. Previous owner knows about as much as I do on it .

If these would not be good heads to go with, any solid recommendations or what I should look for in the head specs to make sure they work? Or is it not even worth building the 86 motor a little bit?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Valve diameters look way to big even if the cam was stock - 2.08 intake & 1.60 exhaust. Piston swap would probably be needed.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:45 AM
pedalhappy
1st Gear Member

engine swap!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 AM
brettleh

In the mean time then, what aluminum head would work with the flat top piston? Any valve size I should really focus on finding?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brettleh
In the mean time then, what aluminum head would work with the flat top piston? Any valve size I should really focus on finding?
You'll have to fly cut the pistons with heads any bigger than you have now. Like every ones saying, you might get away with using a B303 cam, maybe. PTV clearance would still have to be checked.

Quick Reply: Will these heads fit an 86 5.0