Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
psuhillbilly150
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1989, Notch
Default Lincoln mark 7 rear end question

Search feature does not seem to be working so i will ask this for the 100th time probably.

Does the 8.8rear end out of the 1987 or 1989Lincoln Mark 7 LSC5.0 HO fit directly undera 1989fox. The Lincoln has a 5 lugabs disk break rear end. Atthe junk yard using a piece a weatherstripping they seemed tobe the same width but Iam wondering if the control arms andshock mounts are in the same place. Also My fox is a 1989 4 lug car what mods doI need to make to the break system to make thedisk breaks work?

Thanks in advance guys.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

408ci, 11:1, eagle forged bottom end, victor jr top, .644/.643 lift 290/302 duration Doug Herbert solid roller. Holly 4150 950cfm to top it all off
psuhillbilly150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 87 LX 5.0 (on life support), 83 Capri RS
Send a message via AIM to raven_ghostwolf Send a message via Yahoo to raven_ghostwolf
Default RE: Lincoln mark 7 rear end question

If you have the 8.8 in your car already, just use the axles, calipers, backing plates and e-brake cable ends and put them in your existing rear end. You will also need the flexable brake line that connects from the hard line to the caliper. This will make your rear track about .75" wider on each side (same as the rear end in the Lincoln). If the front rotors and calipers are there and your car is a 87 - 93 you can use them on your existing spindles. How ever because of the depth of the front hub your wheel choices are a bit limited as many of the newer wheels have shallow centers and you can not use the center caps factory 94 - 95 SN95 wheels will fit fine. Currently I am using 17" GT wheels that where first used in 1996 on my car with modifications to the center caps, with 245/45-17 tires no issues at all in the rear but there is some rubbing on the inner front at full lock turns, I took care of that with 5/16" wheel spacers stopped the rubbing and also gave the wheels a more even looking track front to rear. Most write ups will tell you you have to change the master cylinder and proportioning valve. I used the factory pieces with my 87 and have had no problems though I have been told that I can get even better rear brake response with an adjustable proportioning valve.

there is a good write up here on this board and I know Adder has a link to SN95 brakes that has a very good write up also.

Stupidity and hydrogen, however, are still by far the most abundent things in the entire universe.- MykTurk
raven_ghostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
psuhillbilly150
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1989, Notch

Thanks for the reply but I don't want to just do the breaks I need to replace the entire rear end. I am making 500+ horses at the wheels and I have a 7.5" rear with a spool in the car now so it isn't going to last to long. The guys that had it before me were only making like 350 horsesout of a 302. So I was wondering if the enire rear could just be unbolted from the 87-89 Lincoln Mark 7s and stuffed right into a 1989 4cyl fox body mustang.

408ci, 11:1, eagle forged bottom end, victor jr top, .644/.643 lift 290/302 duration Doug Herbert solid roller. Holly 4150 950cfm to top it all off
psuhillbilly150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 87 LX 5.0 (on life support), 83 Capri RS
Send a message via AIM to raven_ghostwolf Send a message via Yahoo to raven_ghostwolf

I believe that those years Lincoln Marks will, best thing to do it measure the lower and upper control arm attaching points on your 7.5 and on the 8.8 as long as the distance between the 2 are the same they will work. Remember however that the over all width will be 3/4" more per-side because of the disc brakes.

Stupidity and hydrogen, however, are still by far the most abundent things in the entire universe.- MykTurk
raven_ghostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:30 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1987, 1989, arms, control, end, has, lincoln, mark, mk7, proportioning, rear, valve, vii, width, wieth