5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Battery wont hold a charge

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:33 PM
1995 Mustang GT
1st Gear Member

Default Battery wont hold a charge

Ok so far I've replaced my starter, ICM, battery and terminals. Long story. I bought the new battery because of a bad one in the car before. Never had this problem until I put the new battery in. The car wont start. It started right up with the new battery but a few days later it wouldnt start. I don't know specifically how many days, its not my daily driver, but not more than 2 or 3 days. No it just clicks and my power meter is low in the car, real low. All options work, radio lights etc. Took it to autozone, tested the battery today. It was good. The car has always hesitated a little when I start it so I'm replacing the solenoid anyways just to see if it works but could it be an alternator problem? I dont know what else to try. I read the other posts on the topic and thats all I could come up with. Any ideas? I guess I could try new battery cables, one had a little corrosion on the tip but I soked it in isopropyl alcohol and cleaned it all up.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:41 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: Battery wont hold a charge

while your cars runs how many volts you at? does it start with ajumper box? possible bad grounding or a ground out somwhere?? loose connections. check everything. is the battery itself holding a charge? get out a volt meter and check it after you give it a nice core charge
Old 11-29-2007, 04:03 PM
eaturls1
1st Gear Member

start car and pull off neg. batt cable while running if it shuts off it is not charging. if it stays running then the alt. is charging.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you need to check for a parasitic drain on the battery by taking an ammeter and hook it in series with the neg battery terminal and there sholuld be no more than a 25-50 milliamp with the vehicle at rest and all accessories off
Old 11-29-2007, 04:53 PM
1995 Mustang GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

while your cars runs how many volts you at? does it start with ajumper box? possible bad grounding or a ground out somwhere?? loose connections. check everything. is the battery itself holding a charge? get out a volt meter and check it after you give it a nice core charge
At idle its hard to say because I have pulleys so it fluctuates. Especially considering I have an idle issue I'm dealing with(may just need to adjust my idle a little higher). I'll let y'all know this weekend what the deal is. I don't have time until Fri/Sat to mess with it. I just got the battery charged. Im going to leave it unhooked and just replace all the cables anyways and see where I'm at from there. Thanks again everybody for the input.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Scalihoo
2nd Gear Member

I'll tell you what recently happened to me, maybe this is your problem as well. Carwouldnt start one morning last week, dead battery symptoms ect.
Jumped it, she started right up. Put a voltage meter on it while running 14+ volts so she's charging,used the car that day she was fine, car started the next day but after that she wouldnt hold charge/start again , alternaters fine, did a load test @ work &it was borderline OK..
Checked all the wires all tight, no corrision or restiance.
Hmmmm, she's charging really good allmost too good...Let me check the water in the battery { all mustang owners should have non maintence free batterys if you ask me } anyways it was dry as a friggan bone, added some distilled H2o and it's been perfect since.
Some high HP cars overcharge & boil the **** out of the batteries, I've owned many outboard motors that did this as well, pretty common.
Check your batteries water....
Old 11-30-2007, 03:00 AM
mighty90
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like an alternator problem to me. Those things don't give a warning, they just go out. You can take it out and have it tested at autozone. Just takes a lil elbow grease getting it out and in.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eaturls1

start car and pull off neg. batt cable while running if it shuts off it is not charging. if it stays running then the alt. is charging.
[sm=signs006.gif] ...you are not dealing with a generator setup. "Testing" to see if it's charging this way, could cause additional problems in the system electronics, voltmeters were designed for a purpose.

ORIGINAL: mjr46

you need to check for a parasitic drain on the battery by taking an ammeter and hook it in series with the neg battery terminal and there sholuld be no more than a 25-50 milliamp with the vehicle at rest and all accessories of
[sm=signs007.gif]..... what he said.....

Old 11-30-2007, 04:00 PM
dan_gra

Check the battery in series as stated above and if you find that it has a parasitic drain on it start pulling fuses 1 by 1 to see if that changes the reading. I had a car were the central locking system was draining my battery. The quick fix was to pull the fuse and the problem was fixed. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:57 PM
1995 Mustang GT
1st Gear Member

So I replaced the battery cables and while testing I noticed that I had a bad chassis ground. Rewired. It started right up. Also, I had a lot of loss in my cable. They were corroded pretty bad. Its amazing what you can find when you have the right tools to do the job. Thanks for the input everyone!

Quick Reply: Battery wont hold a charge