5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

95 Mustang Power Steering drops RPM

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:19 PM
mrdeep2001
2nd Gear Member

Default 95 Mustang Power Steering drops RPM

Hey guys,

Just noticed this as I was parallel parking, when turning the wheel(while stopped engine running), my RPMs drop down, sometimes to where it was making me think it might shut the car off. any ideas?

FYI I do not have underdrive pulleys if that would make a difference.

***EDIT: it is a 95 mustang GT 192K miles and still going...

knew I forgot something...
Old 12-04-2007, 11:05 PM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Power Steering drops RPM

mine does it to, also whines real loud people told me it sounds like a supercharger
Old 12-04-2007, 11:25 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

I think that is somwhat normal, to a point. It shouldn't drop much in typical turns, but if you turn the wheel close to lock it may drop a bit. I'm guessing it has something to do with how much of a load is on the pump when the wheel is turned that much. My truck actually has stalled on occasion because of that, but the pump is probably getting worn out from its age since it is alsosomewhat noisy.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:46 PM
toofst4u666
1st Gear Member

ya mine drops the rpms also and it makes a whinng noise i think its normal though because my last mustang did the same thing
Old 12-05-2007, 12:10 AM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

yea i replaced my rack after i lost power steering from doing donuts, and lke a month later my pump whines loud so ill replace that next
Old 12-05-2007, 12:47 AM
kdsmppt

ur alt could be going check it.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:55 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: mrdeep2001

Hey guys,

Just noticed this as I was parallel parking, when turning the wheel(while stopped engine running), my RPMs drop down, sometimes to where it was making me think it might shut the car off. any ideas?

FYI I do not have underdrive pulleys if that would make a difference.
What year mustang????......when you turn the a/c on.....does the idle bump up a little??? it should if the IAC motor is functioning correctly......if this is a foc mustang we are talking about..then look in your high pressure PS line and see if there is a switch in the line...I don't believe foxes have them my 92 didn't but later newer mustangs did and when it senses a load from increased effort while turning to parrellel park lets say it bumps the idle up...but on foxes I believe what you describe may be a normal condition .....I'd run a koeo/koer test to verify all systems are functioning correctly and no codes are present in the ecm's memory
Old 12-05-2007, 08:50 AM
mrdeep2001
2nd Gear Member

it is a 95 mustang GT 192K miles and still going...

P.S. thanks for all the replies, never thought I would get so many responses! [8D]
Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 AM
rmcclafl
1st Gear Member

sounds like you need some new or more power steering fluid
Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 AM
rmcclafl
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 95 Mustang Power Steering drops RPM

well your belt is routed over your power steering so when you turn it puts extra load on the belt which may cause the rpm's to die slightly, it shouldnt get to the point where its going to die, most of the time you shouldn't even notice it, i'd say your P/S pump is on its last legs, my 94 gt' was fine about 2 weeks ago, then i stopped driving it for the winter, but i took it for a drive the other day cause it was nice out and it had this problem, cept it died every time I turned, the only reason i can think of it doing this is if there is too much load coming from the power steering or the intake parts arent clean and your sensors are giving your cpu wrong info which inturn would cause your motor to die because they arent telling your motor to make up for the extra load, I would try cleaning your intake from filter to throttle body and adding some new P/S fluid, hope this helps some

Quick Reply: 95 Mustang Power Steering drops RPM