5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How long do rebuilt engines last?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How long do rebuilt engines last?

I've seen seriously thrashed on, teen driven5.0s last till 100k, get a good rebuild, and go another 100k of abuse. I've also seen stone stock ones go 200k plus. It is a good motor, add better parts and a careful rebuild and it is a great motor.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Our engines are balanced like shi# from the factory.

Crank turned, caps alined honed, cylinders bored over, racing engine bearings and modern balance job, with frequent oil changes; 230,000 miles or MANY YEARS.

Those imports that go 280k, have light rotating asemblies and a awesome balance job. Torn plenty apart, only to replace rings and bearings
Old 12-13-2007, 09:15 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

yup, i have a 300 I-6 that was rebuilt over 200k ago and still runs great. diesels go a million miles and then get rebuilt IN the truck they dont even pull the block - they proceed to go another million miles before they need a rebuild.

im building a cummins 8.3 for my dads truck right now, its got a total of over a million miles on it. we rebuit everything but the bottom end (crank) 200,000 miles ago but then later someone else did the bottom end and did a sh*t job and its been wrong ever since. we're doing everything this time but after 200k miles we're touching the cylinders with a ball hone to knock the glaze off and reusing the pistons because there is virtually ZERO wear in the cylinders.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

I think if you do it right, it will last as long as a new one, if not longer. If you do it up right, and dont go cheap. Bore it, dont hone it. Replace every bearing and gasket, your gonig to be good for a while.

I dont have any experiance with a actual re-built one, so i am not sure the life. i am currently re-building a 350 though.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:35 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

350's are the easiest motors to build, they also usually dont live as long as small block fords

make sure your using decent rings and you get better valve seals installed. stock chevy seals suck *****
Old 12-13-2007, 11:33 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

350's are the easiest motors to build, they also usually dont live as long as small block fords

make sure your using decent rings and you get better valve seals installed. stock chevy seals suck *****

Confimed at the junk yard.

350's that are modern, are very difficult to fix
Old 12-13-2007, 11:52 PM
acline
1st Gear Member

thats a good question, and awesome to get all the ffedback, helps a new guy out
Old 12-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Nvarma
1st Gear Member

What all is needed to rebuild a motor? New gaskets piston rings bearings... what else? I know this is a noob question, but I cannot deny what I am! It would be nice if someone could give me a link to a kit or a write up anything please!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:31 AM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

gaskets, pistons, rings, bearings, connecting rodsengine block, cylinder heads,oil pump,camshaft, crankshaft, valves, rocker arms, push rodsrear main oil seal, timing chain and sprockets, intake manifold, lifters. i've never rebuilt an engine myself before. to time consuming for me. it's already a 6-12 hour job to put the motor in, and bolt everything up depending on how fast you work, and how many people you got to help you.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:39 AM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

oh and i've got just about 27k miles on my rebuilt 5.0. sometimes they don't last as long. i had a rebuilt 350 with 19k that blew a cylinder. it was under warranty still, and i wasn't even the owner of the truck when it was put in. i'm not one of those 'fords are superior to chevys man!' dudes, but i will say i think the ford motors last longer than the chevy ones. they also don't smoke like the chevys do, and don't knock like those chevys will do when they get old. on my old 73 f350 i had the owner before me had it rebuilt 30k miles before i got it. by the time i sold it it probably had close to 130k at least on the rebuild, and it still ran strong. nothing wrong with the motor at all. a lot of rebuilt parts don't last quite as long. i mean rebuilt engines, and transmissions, and stuff like that are worth getting especially price wise. now if you buy rebuilt alternators, and rebuilt water pumps, and stuff like that sometimes they only last 20-30k miles.

Quick Reply: How long do rebuilt engines last?