5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

battery wont keep charge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:17 PM
neutralpinned
1st Gear Member

Default RE: battery wont keep charge?

does anyone else yell in their head when they read text in all caps? I KNOW I DO!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:23 PM
shawnk007
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: splash21

you could still have a messed up alt and run it. there are 3 coils in the normal alt. it is very common to break just one of them and produce around 1/3 the power. what kind of batt and what alt did you get?
Not with the stock fox's 75 amp alternator......
Old 12-14-2007, 11:28 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: kumay91

YOU CAN CHARGE YO BATTERY START THE CAR AND LET IT RUN AND THEN DISCONNECT THE BATTERY CABLE(WHILE CAR IS STILL RUNNING) IF IT TURNS OFF THEN YOU HAVE A BAD ALTERNATOR, OR YOU MAY HAVE A BAD SOLENOID, WAT YOU CAN DO IS HAVE SOMEONE TRY TO START THE CAR AND WHILE IT TRYS TO CRANK HAVE SOMEONE TAP THE SOLENOID, OR JUS CHECK ALL CABLES AND MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS IN GOOD CONDITION SO YOU DO SPEND MONEY ON AND EXPENSIVE PART THAT YOU DONT NEED
[sm=wtf.gif][sm=wtf.gif][sm=WTFsgign.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=noooo.gif]...uhhh no!!!!!! any car will die when you do that because you are removing the ground by which all systems are operating off of......and that's a good way to cause a voltage spike and take out a ecm....never remove the cables while the car is running and when the car shuts off that does not indicate a bad alt!! that is not even a valid test you are speaking of and has no relation to the charging output test and or ability of the alt to charge.....to correctly test an alt you need a multimeter with a voltmeter function and or amps function to test voltage and amperage output......and the way you test for that is place the system under a load by turning on all accesories which will place a load on the alt and field the alt so it starts outputing more amperage to supply the proper amount of current to the demands required....or just simply use a VAT 40/45 to run the test
Old 12-14-2007, 11:35 PM
splash21
2nd Gear Member

haha i remember using vat 40s.. great machine but no matter how bad it is for the electronics on the car taking the batt cables off of a car while it is running shouldnt make it cut out the alt will make it stay running,usually. but doesnt always mean it is bad if it cuts out. in highschool we had a few "shop" cars that we didnt keep batts in. we just jumped em with a power pack and moved em around that way but it was no biggie if we broke them it just gave us something to do that day.. about the stock 75 amp alt.. i know what you mean but didnt know if he put a different style in. thats why i asked what alt he got.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:47 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: neutralpinned

does anyone else yell in their head when they read text in all caps? I KNOW I DO!
Yes.

And it could also be fuses or a loose connection, seeing as how you said you got new stuff not too long ago. As my friend said to his ex - go get tested.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: splash21

haha i remember using vat 40s.. great machine but no matter how bad it is for the electronics on the car taking the batt cables off of a car while it is running shouldnt make it cut out the alt will make it stay running,usually. but doesnt always mean it is bad if it cuts out. in highschool we had a few "shop" cars that we didnt keep batts in. we just jumped em with a power pack and moved em around that way but it was no biggie if we broke them it just gave us something to do that day.. about the stock 75 amp alt.. i know what you mean but didnt know if he put a different style in. thats why i asked what alt he got.
yes true!! howeveryou are using the jump pack in place of the battery so therfore the ground works through the pack.......electrical current flow is based on two theroies....in regards to cars, we speak of the conventional theroy....which is the flow of current/electrons from positive to negative.. and electricity is the flow of free electrons in one direction.....if you do what KUMAY91 suggestes and remove the ground the flow of electricity can no longer take place since the theroy states that curent flows from neg to pos which the flow of current is known as electricity and if electricity is created work is being done... so if a ground is remove then the circularpath/flow of electricity is stopped and current is no longer being generated = open circuit and all systems shut down... cause the alt needs a ground too and all grounds channel back to the battery to motor ground and fire wall to motor ground..this is why all grounds need to be in place and clean as to allow the free flow of current with minimal resistance present if you remove the ground or for that matter the B+ terminal current flow can no longer take place that's why when you pull the ground on a light bulb.. what happens??? it goes out...why??? current needs a path to flow from and to and in the automotive world that is from positive to neg
Old 12-15-2007, 12:03 AM
splash21
2nd Gear Member

i forgot to mention we took the packs off. you dont have to have a battery in to run a car. you do not need a battery for a ground.. the electricity will flow freely throught the body and motor and back around therefore completing the circuit. trust me ive done it a million times and im goin for electrical engineering.
the batt is actually in a seperate circuit. it starts the car initially sending power to the starter and then the alt circuit takes over making spark and recharging what was used from the battery for the start.

as long as engine has a way of initially starting it does NOT need the battery
Old 12-15-2007, 09:24 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

well........i think the battery was just drained to far, but i am in the middle of putting a shift kit inso if it doesnt work, then ill probabaly have to get a new battery. When i chargedd it last night,the trickle charger took FOREVER before it rejistered 100%
Old 12-15-2007, 11:02 AM
kumay91

ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: kumay91

YOU CAN CHARGE YO BATTERY START THE CAR AND LET IT RUN AND THEN DISCONNECT THE BATTERY CABLE(WHILE CAR IS STILL RUNNING) IF IT TURNS OFF THEN YOU HAVE A BAD ALTERNATOR, OR YOU MAY HAVE A BAD SOLENOID, WAT YOU CAN DO IS HAVE SOMEONE TRY TO START THE CAR AND WHILE IT TRYS TO CRANK HAVE SOMEONE TAP THE SOLENOID, OR JUS CHECK ALL CABLES AND MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS IN GOOD CONDITION SO YOU DO SPEND MONEY ON AND EXPENSIVE PART THAT YOU DONT NEED
[sm=wtf.gif][sm=wtf.gif][sm=WTFsgign.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=noooo.gif]...uhhh no!!!!!! any car will die when you do that because you are removing the ground by which all systems are operating off of......and that's a good way to cause a voltage spike and take out a ecm....never remove the cables while the car is running and when the car shuts off that does not indicate a bad alt!! that is not even a valid test you are speaking of and has no relation to the charging output test and or ability of the alt to charge.....to correctly test an alt you need a multimeter with a voltmeter function and or amps function to test voltage and amperage output......and the way you test for that is place the system under a load by turning on all accesories which will place a load on the alt and field the alt so it starts outputing more amperage to supply the proper amount of current to the demands required....or just simply use a VAT 40/45 to run the test
what if he duznt have a multimeter??? and pullin the cables is a way to check to see if the alternator isnt working i've talked to many people about this and they have all told me the same thing, as a matter of fact this is how i found out i needed a new alternator
Old 12-15-2007, 11:26 AM
splash21
2nd Gear Member

yes it works and can tell you if the alt is bad, but he made a valid point saying it could "shock" the system and fry things. but usually it doesnt do anything bad to the car

Quick Reply: battery wont keep charge?