5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Can someone please help!!! PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:49 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Can someone please help!!! PLEASE

Option #1
Does the outer ring of the lock cylinder seem loose? It is possible and most common for it to break loose causing the problem your are describing.
I changed a lock cylinder in a Ford truck last week because of this and have done others in the past.
With the key outyou need to try to get the outer ring lined back up with the cylinder so your key will go all the way in and turn.
Keep trying to get the key to turn, wiggling the steering wheel and work the key.
If you get the car started don't turn the key to lock when you get home.
You can change the lock cylinder as you would normally have to.
Option #2
I personally have never tried this!
I was told by a Ford tech that you could use a slide hammer/dent puller and rip the lock cylinder out of the column. You will break the locking pin from the ignitioncylinder and it will pull out. You will have to align the gear inside to the correct position to mate to the new cylinder in the on position.
option #3
The shop manual says to drill it out.
If your not sure what your doing seek professional help so you don't destroy your column.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

a drill

seriously you can drill the thing out
Yea if your scrapping it anyway, drill it out?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:15 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

If you are doing all this in the Walmart parking lot, make sure you've got your id and title with you just in case some police officer spots you acting like you are stealing a car.