5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cam Choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:29 PM
toofst4u666
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Cam Choice

well what do you suggest for a set of decent aftermarket heads?? and what kinda power do you think ill make with them with the rest of the stuff i got?
Old 12-18-2007, 11:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what year car and motor??? is it a roller cam block?? if it's a roller cam engine then a set of ported gt-40's would be a good choice for heads..if you got money for aluminum ones then since you got stock pistons you'll need to keep the valve size around 1.90's and afr 165's would be a good choice or a set of edelbrock performer rpm's with the 1.90/1.60's and maybe an f-cam.. a friend did this set up and ran 12.94 @105 with all other supporting mods of course too and with the rpm air gap intake.......but head choice and cam choice is key on the 5.0
Old 12-18-2007, 11:37 PM
toofst4u666
1st Gear Member

85 5.0 ya its a roller
Old 12-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: toofst4u666

well i was planning on keeping the stock heads just porting them and puttin new valves+Springs+Lifters+Pushrods etc
if your going to use stock heads then going over 500 lift on the cam isn't really gonna help..I switched from a b cam to an f-cam with no improvement in et or mph[&:]
MJ, don't take the following the wrong way , but there is stuff that I think is wrong to conclude or establish as "rules"........

1. Concentrating on the increase of lift using the F-303 vs. B-303 and concluding that the increase of lift only, didn't gain much is a little misleading. Lift was not the only item that was changed, the valve events timing + duration were also changed. Wouldn't those other changes cause an effect not related to the increase of lift, that may have "canceled" the benefit of a little more lift?........

2. Looking at peak airflow figures @.xxx" lift, and using them as a guideline to limit valves lift is somewhat an error. If you have a set of heads that peak at .450" lift (to pick a number)...... wouldn't it make more sense to reach that lift as soon as possible, and keep it at or above that point for a longer period of time (duration) to compensate for the head's flow limitations, and fill those cylinders?........ isn't exactly that what a performance cam does?...... optimize the heads flow capabilities, or compensate for their flow limitations?....

Just a thought.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:08 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: toofst4u666

well i was planning on keeping the stock heads just porting them and puttin new valves+Springs+Lifters+Pushrods etc
if your going to use stock heads then going over 500 lift on the cam isn't really gonna help..I switched from a b cam to an f-cam with no improvement in et or mph[&:]
MJ, don't take the following the wrong way , but there is stuff that I think is wrong to conclude or establish as "rules"........

1. Concentrating on the increase of lift using the F-303 vs. B-303 and concluding that the increase of lift only, didn't gain much is a little misleading. Lift was not the only item that was changed, the valve events timing + duration were also changed. Wouldn't those other changes cause an effect not related to the increase of lift, that may have "canceled" the benefit of a little more lift?........

2. Looking at peak airflow figures @.xxx" lift, and using them as a guideline to limit valves lift is somewhat an error. If you have a set of heads that peak at .450" lift (to pick a number)...... wouldn't it make more sense to reach that lift as soon as possible, and keep it at or above that point for a longer period of time (duration) to compensate for the head's flow limitations, and fill those cylinders?........ isn't exactly that what a performance cam does?...... optimize the heads flow capabilities, or compensate for their flow limitations?....

Just a thought.
No, I do agree completely with you...the main point of what I was really trying to emphasize was that using the stock heads and adding a performance cam really doesn't have a huge benifit as the stock heads in their current form with the small valves and lack offlow really wont allow a performance cam to maximize it's potential unless a decent set of heads are put in place...........I've never been a huge proponent of factory heads in their stock form and to get them to perform like a decent set of aluminum heads ..the cost would far exceed the benifit gained when all work to them was said and done.....that is unless you were a machinest where you could perform all work needed to them...but since I'm not.....I just buy a set of aluminum heads and benifit by weight reduction too
Old 12-19-2007, 03:16 PM
toofst4u666
1st Gear Member

i the stock heads are that restrictive what if i bought a set of 351w heads and redid them would that be better because i dont have the money for aluminum heads
Old 12-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Your best "cheap" alternatives would be a set of GT40 or GT40p heads....... 351w heads (unless they are the C9 or DO casting numbers) are the same heads that are in 302's...... aside the 1/2" head bolt holes. Or DIY-port the ones you have (E5's or E7's?).... you need to upgrade the valve springs on any you choose though....... camshaft?.... If a custom is not in the budget, you may want to check an OTS Comp Cam selected for your setup alternative from CI. They will select the correct Comp Cams alternative, Cam Dr. it, and provide you with the correct installation instructions (degree it w/out a degree kit) for your setup. Just a thought.