5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Converting 347 from Carb to EFI

Old 12-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Default Converting 347 from Carb to EFI

So.. I've been wanting to convert my 347 from a carb to EFI for quite some time now and unfortunately I was unable to pick up everything from iceman89gt as someone beat me to it, but I did manage to get the harness and A9L with the superchips from him.

What I want to know is what components should I be looking for to fit my setup? ie TB, MAF, INTAKE, Injector sizes, fuel pump, type, manufacturer, etc... I'd like to pick up all this used if possible and stay within a decent price range, but I can splurge if needed.

My current setup is:

'68 302 block
SCAT 4340 3.42 crank
Eagle H-beam 5.4 rods
Eagle Forged Pistons
Crane Adv Dur 286/ 294, Lift .542/ .562
351W heads heavily ported with 1.94/1.6
Ford Motorsports 1.6 roller rockers
dynomax full length headers
Mallory Comp 9000
Mallory Hyfire IV
Edelbrock manual fuel pump
NOS Cheater Plate system

My carb setup was a 650cfm Holley 4150 on an Edelbrock Performer RPM.

What do you guys think I should be looking for??
Old 12-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Converting 347 from Carb to EFI

Oh, and currently I'm using a C4, but would eventually like to make the move to a T-56 if that makes any difference...

And this is in a '66 coupe.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:35 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

well my 347 build is in process and ill let you know what im going to run, 30# injectors, 75mm pro m maf, I have a 190lph pump, and I just ordered a systemax intake. This seems to be a pretty popular combo from what ive researched
Old 12-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply! I'd like to have mine done by spring, but I doubt it will happen. I'm in the process of re-wiring the car completely with a Painless harness and that's going to take a little time.

I'd like to see your setup when it's done and dyno numbers too!
Old 12-19-2007, 02:55 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

I'm currently doing an EFI swap in a '65 Mustang with a 345hp Ford Racing crate motor. I have picked up plenty of parts off of Ebay that are in great condition and are much cheaper than new. For instance, I got a Pro-M MAF and K&N filter and air tube for $26, an A9L for $80ish, Accufab throttle body for <$100, brand new Ford Racing injectors for $250, NOS distributor for about $50ish ...

That said, you should know going into this that it will cost a fair amount of money to swap to EFI with a modded engine. A stockish 5.0L EFI swap can be done pretty cheaply with stock takeoffs, but you're going to pay for the performance injectors, MAF, manifold, etc.

If you haven't been there, I'd suggest looking at fordfuelinjection.com for a lot of good info. Rockauto.com is a good site for stock parts you'll need like ACT's, water temp sensors, etc. A big cost for me was the wiring harness as I opted for the simplicity of the fordfuelinjection.com harness.

Oh yeah, google for JamesW's site for a lot of good EFI info.

Good luck!
Jeff
Old 12-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the sites!

Was it difficult to tie the engine harness in with the existing classic harness? That's my biggest concern at this point.

Did you mount the computer under the dash?

Old 12-20-2007, 12:11 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

The Fordfuelinjection harness is a piece of cake to tie into the existing. One wire connects to the positive terminal and another to the starter terminal on the solenoid. Three wires connect to the harness main disconnect (12V switched, water temp and oil pressure) and that is about it. My computer will be mounted uner the dash
Old 12-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Good to know that they isn't alot of wires that are needed. Unfortunately, the harness I have will likely be a little more of a pain as it has all the a/c, heater and electrics for a 90's mustang...

I've been looking at BBK's SSI-R intake, but from what I hear it kills your midrange for a few HP up top... I like the look though.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:37 PM
hillbilly pony
3rd Gear Member

Sell me your NOS kit since you wont be able to use it anymore....ha.

seriously what size shot was it and how did you run with all that?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

I'm going to use everything but the plate... I'll just pick up a EFI plate and be back in business. The kit is a NOS Cheater system adjustable from 150-250HP.

The configuration above was never ranat the track or on a dyno of any kind, so I don't really have any physical data to show performance. Honestly I was a bit disappointed with the performance via my Butt-dyno... but all that was running through a C4 slushbox and in the end I never really got much of it to the ground anyways...

I had continuous issues getting the carb dialed in and in the end sold the intake and carb to a buddy for $200. About that time, I decided to repaint the engine bay, do a motor rebuild, and rewire the entire car with a painless harness as my stock wiring was starting to have issues.

This was all during the time I was in the Army, and the car was kept at my parent's, so I had little to no time to work on it. I have since left the Army after 9 years and I finally have the time I need to get some work done. I have everything with the exception of an intake system and I figured before I finish up the wiring, I might as well do the EFI conversion.

Here is how it sits now... and hopefully over the spring, I can finish it up. BTW, I know those fat tires aren't "in style" anymore... but it was an attempt to put the power to the pavement!! LOL!

And this was what it looked like before I decided to tear it apart...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Converting 347 from Carb to EFI