5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

mega squirt lovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 03:29 PM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: mega squirt lovers

yeah they are chrome headers, at cold start it runs rich. when it warms up, it runs lean. I have addressed everything else I can think of as to why my engine would run so hot given the upgraded radiator and electric fan. I believe it to be a tuning issue. stock fuel curves on a stroker with all the upgrades that I have done didnt seem right to me, but the guy at the dyno shop said I didn't need a chip. I have no other leads, i'm dead in the water about this topic.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:31 PM
rat_rod_russell

It it's running hot the computer normally richened the motor to cool it off on most EFI systems I've worked with. I haven't played with the Stock mustang systems at all but i plan on building a Mega squirt system for my 85 since it's carborated already.Chips are good but if you can get one that will let you program it with your pc that would be the the easiest way. I don't think you'll be able to get the full potential form the stock Computer System either

Megasquirt +1

R^3
Old 12-27-2007, 08:46 PM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

i dont know what the problem is, but...megasquirt scares me because it only operates in batch, no sequential option and you have to do all the soldering yourself.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:22 PM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

eh the soldering is easy... I soldered all my connection for my florida 5.0 dash. not a big deal. What scares me about any STand alone fuel management is the complexity of the programming. Installing the wires is the least of my problems, especially since the engine will be out of the car. I'm sending it to the body shop to get painted and i want them to pain the engine compartment.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:31 AM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dillon1340

i dont know what the problem is, but...megasquirt scares me because it only operates in batch, no sequential option and you have to do all the soldering yourself.
You can buy them already assembled. And from what I've read about putting them together anyway, it's supposed to be really easy.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:31 PM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

So I have read all the good, the bad and the ugly about megasquirt and tweecer and jet chips blah blah blah and all the other tuning software out there, but I need to get a tuning program ASAP. and i just can't make up my mind. Anyone want to convince me? I could really use help. I have heavy motor mods N.A. but maybe a supercharger one day (or turbo if i get crazy). LET ME KNOW PLEASE! how easy is it to program each of them, reading tech articles and getting advice from first hand users is different.
Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Forged331

I cant see the tuning affecting it that much. Is this a fresh build? If so you will run hotter until your engine breaks in. 220 isn't that hot, the thermostat opens at 180, and your out of normal at ~250. One other thing to check....and I know this sounds dumb, but I've seen it...is to check and make sure your electric fan is blowing towards the engine, not towards the radiator.....I promise I've seen this!! Good luck.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:33 PM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

HAHA yeah sometimes your mind slips and you install **** backwards, but the electric fan is in the right way and so is the thermostat. This is the second rebuild on the engine. first rebuild was when i stroked it out.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:43 PM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

How fried are the O2 sensors on your car. Sometimes when they get cherry red from a hot exhaust, they don tend to work as well as they once did. Trust me I know. Mine were so seized in the pipes from the heat that I broke the nut off the sensor. I had to fabricate the whole damn pipe. Sometimes they will screw with your fuel mixture if the computer is picking up something drastic, or both are really shot. As for the whole cooling issue. Have you checked your water pump and coolant level?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 PM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

I have no idea whats the status of my O2 Sensors, I should just buy new ones. Water pump works Coolant levels are good. That OBDI computer can only compensate for so much though, its not a 302 anymore. thats why im looking into tuning programs.
Thanks

Quick Reply: mega squirt lovers