5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Steeda UDP Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:06 AM
NotFingflyinnow
1st Gear Member

Default Steeda UDP Install

So I got my UDP's in the other day and I am getting ready for the install. The instructions are pretty clear but looking at the location of where these pulleys are and the limited space, I wonder what all I need to remove to have enough work space. The instruction dont mention needing to remove anything....

Will I need to remove my fan, or radiator? Is there something that needs to come out first or should there be plent of space as is?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:42 AM
68CSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda UDP Install

What year is the car youre working on?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 AM
bamaroxz
2nd Gear Member

A year of your ride would help answer your question, but most likely at least pulling the radiator would make it easier. Not much trouble for the room you will gain. Also remember your belt size will change (smaller). You could take a string and put it around the pulleys and mark it, take it to the parts store and they should be able to fix you up. Good luck. Are you also putting a high amp alt with it? The UD's will slow rotation of alt, WP, and PS. Some guys on here are running there stock alts, but most go with a 140 AMP alt with UD change.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:54 AM
NotFingflyinnow
1st Gear Member

Its a 1990 GT, and I had been planning on leaving the stock alt. on it...
Old 12-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Im running stock alt with no problems. Taking the pulleys off is extremely easy, so is getting them back on.

You dont need to pull your radiator or fan shroud.... this job is too easy and that just makes it more complicated. Who likes playing with antifreeze?

The only semi hard part about this is the alternator nut holding the alternator pulley on. Your gonna have to leave your belt on and impact the nut off. In fact the nut on my alternator was seized up so I ended up replacing the alternator while I was in there.

The water pump and crank pulleys are very easy to get off with an air ratchet. I did them with regular hand tools and it wasnt hard either. Getting the pulleys to stay still is the only trick. If you leave the belt on its not hard tho... I just used the fan to hold the water pump pulley in place and held the crank pulley with my hand.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:55 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tony71502

Im running stock alt with no problems. Taking the pulleys off is extremely easy, so is getting them back on.

You dont need to pull your radiator or fan shroud.... this job is too easy and that just makes it more complicated. Who likes playing with antifreeze?

The only semi hard part about this is the alternator nut holding the alternator pulley on. Your gonna have to leave your belt on and impact the nut off. In fact the nut on my alternator was seized up so I ended up replacing the alternator while I was in there.

The water pump and crank pulleys are very easy to get off with an air ratchet. I did them with regular hand tools and it wasnt hard either. Getting the pulleys to stay still is the only trick. If you leave the belt on its not hard tho... I just used the fan to hold the water pump pulley in place and held the crank pulley with my hand.
How long have you had the udp's with the new alt? Overtime most people will have charging problems with stock alt, even if new. I have before. My suggestion, just like others, is too leave the alt pully stock and replace the others. Ormore realistically, take the udp's back and get something else. If you do install them, you wont have to take rad out to do it.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:10 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

the only time you may have chargin issues is at idle and the instructions with mine said to bump the idle up 1-200 rpm to compensate for this. Mine runs a little low at idle but nothing to be concerned about.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:19 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Well I have had the UDP with new stock alt for almost a year now. No problems.