5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

problems with transmission or clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:27 PM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

Default problems with transmission or clutch

Hello all i'm new to this forum. Ok here is my problem, my Dad and I were driving in our 1984 Mustang when the transmission started to grind in 5th gear. it then poped out of gear and wouldn't go back in. This followed untill all the gears did not work. We replaced the transmission with a diffent 5 speed. This is not a mustang transmission.
Well now the problem is i'll be driving and when i shift from 1st gear to 2nd with clutch fully depressed it will grind and go in. if i shift from 3rd to first it will grind and not go in unless i'm at a stop. If i up shift at high RPM i.e 5 grand or more it will not grind. My thought is that it is the clutch. A freind of mine said it's the sincroes in the transmmision. Any help would be appriated.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: problems with transmission or clutch

either the clutch cable is stretched and not fully pulling the pressure plate away from the flywheel..but the issue of it not being a mustang t-5???[sm=WTFsgign.gif]are you using then???
Old 01-02-2008, 01:55 AM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

Honestly I don't know at this moment. I will ask my dad in the morning tommorow. So it could be the clutch cable? how can i check that? I know basic machanics but i'm a fast learner.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:12 PM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

Well i crawled under the mustang and the trannsmission is a FORD "Borge Warner" I took off the clutch cable cover and the swing arm when the clutch is pushed in all the way it only goes in, were the arm is 1/2 inch from touching the end off the box. Here are some pictures

The Clutch Arm at netural.
[IMG][/IMG]

The clutch in all the way.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-03-2008, 05:09 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

Where does your clutch grab?
If it's rite at the floor it's not releasing enough.
You should look into getting an aluminum clutch quadrant and adjustable cable.
That isif you still have the stock plastic self adjustingquadrant under the dash.

If your clutch is grabbing higher, then suspect syncros in the trans are bad and possibly some gears are torn up from continuing to drive with bad syncros.

If the pilot bearing is bad it may be gripping the input shaft and turning the trans when the clutch is depressed. (like not depressing the clutch)
Old 01-03-2008, 09:01 PM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

Ok well i went to the libary and busted out some chiltons. If you pull on the pedal and it clicks then the clutch needed ajustment, and it ajusted. it clicked twice. put my dad mut water in the radiator instead of antifreeze so a freeze plug broke. So i couldnt try it. but i'm going to get it repared tomorrow. Then i can test it. ohhh and when i ajusted it the gap in the arm got smaller so i hope thats it...
Old 01-03-2008, 11:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: nightcrawler52

Well i crawled under the mustang and the trannsmission is a FORD "Borge Warner" I took off the clutch cable cover and the swing arm when the clutch is pushed in all the way it only goes in, were the arm is 1/2 inch from touching the end off the box. Here are some pictures

The Clutch Arm at netural.
[IMG][/IMG]

The clutch in all the way.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Borg Warner was the manufactorer of the t-5 for ford for many years until tremec purchased the right to the t-5 label and bought out borg warner....I'm sure it's the right tranny and it's for a mustang
Old 01-04-2008, 05:32 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

either the clutch cable is stretched and not fully pulling the pressure plate away from the flywheel..but the issue of it not being a mustang t-5???[sm=WTFsgign.gif]are you using then???

What other symptoms would this produce? My tranny is grinding in 3rd and only third. I was going to replace the tranny but someone told me to check the clutch. The clutch is a new King Cobra.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fourfivefour

Where does your clutch grab?
If it's rite at the floor it's not releasing enough.
You should look into getting an aluminum clutch quadrant and adjustable cable.
That isif you still have the stock plastic self adjustingquadrant under the dash.

If your clutch is grabbing higher, then suspect syncros in the trans are bad and possibly some gears are torn up from continuing to drive with bad syncros.

If the pilot bearing is bad it may be gripping the input shaft and turning the trans when the clutch is depressed. (like not depressing the clutch)
I looked in the repair manual on how to change the clutch quadrant and it says to remove the steering wheel and a bunch of other bs....is it actually that hard? Is there any tutorials on how to do this? Thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 05:43 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bbbngowc

ORIGINAL: mjr46

What other symptoms would this produce? My tranny is grinding in 3rd and only third. I was going to replace the tranny but someone told me to check the clutch. The clutch is a new King Cobra.
Sitting still you should be able to shift your trans without grinding. If it grinds it usually means your clutch is not releasing enough.
When all else is fine and your driving and it grinds going into third, the third gear and the 3/4 slider is bad along with your syncros. Rebuild it now before you tear up more gears.

Quick Reply: problems with transmission or clutch