5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear end on 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Esco5.0

Default Rear end on 5.0

Im looking for a new Rear end for my 92 lx 5.0. pretty sure its goin bad. figured its time to get a new rear i think its an 8.8 rear. if anyone knows were i can get a rear for cheap and im hoping to find a rear with either 3:73 or 4:10 because i currently have 3:73 in my rear now and i dont wanna go backward with putting a stock rear in the car. if anyone can help me and get back that would be cool.

92lx 5.0- bbk headers, h-pipe, flowmaster exhaust, cold air intake, cobra clutch, underdrive pullies, 3:73 gears, b-camshafter
Old 01-04-2008, 12:33 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear end on 5.0

just rebuild it, your going to buy a used rear and be in the same boat down the road... Rebuild with better guts in it!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Esco5.0

what should i do to it im not to familiar with revuilding the rear. and how much do u think the rebuild would coast me. i would do all the labor
Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

well if all your looking is to rebuild, get new bearings, rebuild the tracklock, new seals etc.. if you want to get crazy you can upgrade axles, carrier, weld the tubes, etc
Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ORIGINAL: primetime5.0

well if all your looking is to rebuild, get new bearings, rebuild the tracklock, new seals etc.. if you want to get crazy you can upgrade axles, carrier, weld the tubes, etc
i dont think he'll make enough power for that to be necessary, but if you want HIGH HP this is a must.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

might as well throw some gears in it while your at it
Old 01-04-2008, 07:00 PM
jmyler

If you aren't familiar with building a rear and don't know how to space the gears and get them to line up right don't attempt to rebuild the rear. These guys are going a little overboard with the welding the tubes and whatnot, best thing to do is try to find a rear out of a car someone is selling. Just did a quick search here in atlanta on craigslist and found two for 200 with 3.55 gears and one for 300 with 3.73 gears. It's going to make your life ALOT easier, i'm talking from experience, i had a rear end go out on me while cruising about 45-50 and the wheels locked up thank god i wasn't going faster. Rear end is nothing to play with.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Esco5.0

what should i do to it im not to familiar with revuilding the rear. and how much do u think the rebuild would coast me. i would do all the labor
honestly!! and no offense but you'd be better off taking it to a shop to do or you'll screw up the set up if you don't understand such things as pinion bearing preload how to check it = you need a inch pound torque bar wrench....and how to properly set preload on pinion with new crush collar, set carrier bearing side preload and check for proper backlash...and when rebuilding the trac loc unit you need to shim the clutch pack with the proper shim...most often you can reuse old one but kit comes with new ones= your left to decide where and when to use.....if you are installing new gears forget it let a pro with the proper tools set it up or gauranteed it will howl like a coyote....if reusing old ring and pinion but all new bearings ... you will definately need to reset pinion preload via a new crush collar and you'll have to have a dial indicator to check backlash...trust me!! I just rebuilt a 95 8.8 last night for a customer and with all new bearings all the above had to be done and I lucked out and it didn't make noise.....often times when rebuilding the rear and reusing old ring and pinion you disturb the wear pattern on the gear by installing new bearings and to get it back in the exact same wear pattern is tough...and after you set it up you need to use the special paste to mark the gears and rotate rear around and check for the proper wear pattern..and you better know how to read the tooth contact weather or not it's on the toe or heal side to far or deep and if so how to correct such a occurance by adding pinion shim or subtracting shims....also setting backlash is important..so if you don't understand what needs to be taken special care of when rebuilding a rear and using old ring and pinion vs a new one..then I'd leave it up to the pro's
Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Esco5.0

yea i understand about leaving it up to the pros but my dad is a mechanic and knows how to do all the gearing and stuff plus my dads friend has done a bunch of rears ends nd he would be helping out. i didnt literally mean myself doing the work lol.. but yea i think im probley gonna look into gettin a rear out of a 5.0 that someone is selling but i deff want a rear thats got gears in it cause im not gonna go backward.. but thanks for all the advice
Old 01-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

What makes you think it's going out? And buying a used rear end may just have the same problems.

Quick Reply: Rear end on 5.0