5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

gt40 rr machining.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

Default RE: gt40 rr machining.

wow you guys are kinda being a$$holes. i see what he was askin but no reason to jump down his throat. he basically just wanted to kno what the cost was so he could see if it outweighed the cost of buying new rockers. calm down guys, its ok[8D]
Old 01-10-2008, 12:05 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ya why is everyone being a dick? he just wants an estimate of how much it would cost to have his heads machined for stud mount RR's cuz he already has them. he just wants to see what others have paid for the process so he has an idea of how much money to save up. stop bein a$$holes and if you dont know the answer dont post retarded shyt.

you could get something like this.. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

i dont think you can have a high reving motor w/ this kit but it could be an option you you..
Old 01-10-2008, 12:12 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

so... im gonna go ahead and disagree with this entire thread just about

i think stud mount is a great idea, and seeing that you say u already have some of the parts why not do it?

basically your looking at needing guideplates, the shop u have cut the heads can get these for you, not too too expensive(~$30-40)

basically what youd be looking at them doing is, cutting the rocker mount down the distance of the guideplate, and the bottom of the screw in stud. theyd have to drill/tap for the correct thread size for your studs. and install them

youd be looking at getting new pushrods possibly, thats what another 30 bucks?

and i honestly forget the price to get this done, it shouldnt be much more then or about close to 100 bucks... i forget what we charge, and obviously all shops are differant

so for ~200 bucks your getting a much more stable valve train, allowing greater spring pressure for later down the road, and easy adjustability... and again, much more stable. and less friction....

how much would pedistal rockers be? ~2-300... so im not seeing any downside what so ever to doing this... your either breaking even, or coming out spending a little less then u would on differant pedistal rockers

so i say do it... with out question. i have gt40 heads on my car with the stock pos ****, and valve train work is high on my list of **** do to...

any specific questions, hit me up...
Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 AM
mantis118
1st Gear Member

Wow thank you guys. Im glad someone else is agreeing that they were being ********.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:27 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

nitrous bob shut up. if your not going to contribute they stay in whatever section you have been in.

mantis it would just be easier to call the machine shop to ask them what they would charge so you can use you rr on your heads
Old 01-10-2008, 02:42 PM
TMC
1st Gear Member

I don't like to post once things go down hill like in this threat but, I have converted several sets of ped mount heads to stud mounts so I thought I'd share.

I really only like 7/16 studs, so if yours are 3/8's I would dump them and get some ped mount rockers for about the same price.

Now,

7/16 studs - nice ARP's in the right size ~ $80
guide plates - $30 to be close, $60 if your a perfectionist
pushrods - $80
Machine work $1-200

I like stud mounts and see only positives to using them but for most street type cars they may not be cost effective.

have fun, good luck
Old 01-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Scalihoo
2nd Gear Member

LOL, this thread was funny & a good read..allthough I forgot the original question
Old 01-10-2008, 04:54 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i really wasn't being hard , sorry you took it that way

after 5 responses it seemed as though you just didn't want to listen to anyone and were argumentative, even re-reading it it seems that way

(my 9 beers didn't help though)

and i still think it it is a pointless effort , if you want stud mount gt40 heads, get the D00E heads from a '69/'70, save the machine work money for port work, and new valve seats and do it right

real 40's are worth close to $500 if you find the right buyer, $400 pretty much all day long

D00E's can be had for $75-$150 and they ARE gt40 heads , compare them...it's what the 40's were modeled after

and for that matter you could go with the aluminum heads from livernois motorsports(or detroit speed shops)....made for stud mounts and brand new aluminums are like $699/pair assembled
they are 2.02 heads though

you'd have the same investent for better head.

but hey i'm just an a$$hole who has has never been around this 5.0 game for the last 18 years so i'm entitled to my opinion
Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

TMC... ur prices are high... it can be done, and done right for cheaper...

i think its well worth it to convert... i say you do it. pm me w/ any other questions, seems im the only one that thinks its worth is, and this thread is a little ****ed lol
Old 01-10-2008, 11:08 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

I don't think TMC is out of the ball-park at all on his estimate. I do agree that stud mount rockers make for a much better valvetrain and on a high rpmrace engine or anything needing adjustable valvetrain they are a must, but why on a hydraulic cammed street engine? Where is the benefit? I am with nitrous bob, if stud mounts are really what you want buy some aluminumheads better than GT40s thatare for stud mount rockers.

Quick Reply: gt40 rr machining.