5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

MAF conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:13 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

Default MAF conversion

ive asked alot of questions about performance mods for my S/D stang. i wanted to throw on a bigger intake manifold possibly a trickflow streetburner and a cam and ive been told that i am crazy. ive deciedded that im going to convert to a MAF system. is this a hard process or is it pretty straight forward? ive read alot about the harness. can i buy a harness and do no splicing of wires or do i have to splice regardless. lastly how much power do u think i would make with the mods i have now + MAF, cam, and a streetburner manifold?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: MAF conversion

if you buy a conversion harness you'll have to splice it in......as for the power.....230...to 240..maybe[&:]...your draw back to a cam and intake upgrade is you are leaving out a key component to upgrade that'll complement the whole mod process...= HEADS!!!! YOU NEED THEM
Old 01-10-2008, 10:48 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

performance mods for SD car...

i have an h/c/i nitrous SD car...

you can go head and intake no problem at all, and just be smart about cam choice

btw... my SD car... goal is high 11/low 12
Old 01-10-2008, 11:06 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

if you buy a conversion harness you'll have to splice it in......as for the power.....230...to 240..maybe[&:]...your draw back to a cam and intake upgrade is you are leaving out a key component to upgrade that'll complement the whole mod process...= HEADS!!!! YOU NEED THEM
r u serious!!! are the stock heads really that crappy. like im looking to make low 300 engine HP but even with cams and intake your telling me i cant even make that. wow. the reason that i have been avoiding the heads is because i have never done work such as changing engine heads so i guess im just affraid of this task. however this is supposed to be my project/learning car so i guess i wouldnt mind doing it. i might know a place that could sell me a pair of performance heads for a good price but theyll most likly be the gt-40 heads. so lets say all my current mods + GT-40 heads, some sort of cam not sure yet which one some help on that would be great + a trick flow street burner intake. what do u think i would be making to the rear wheels or engine. if i do all this work im going to expect about 320hp
Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: crocop

ORIGINAL: mjr46

r u serious!!! are the stock heads really that crappy. like im looking to make low 300 engine HP but even with cams and intake your telling me i cant even make that. wow. the reason that i have been avoiding the heads is because i have never done work such as changing engine heads so i guess im just affraid of this task. however this is supposed to be my project/learning car so i guess i wouldnt mind doing it. i might know a place that could sell me a pair of performance heads for a good price but theyll most likly be the gt-40 heads. so lets say all my current mods + GT-40 heads, some sort of cam not sure yet which one some help on that would be great + a trick flow street burner intake. what do u think i would be making to the rear wheels or engine. if i do all this work im going to expect about 320hp
YES i 'AM!!!! if the car will be N/A you won't get 320 out of the stock heads in their current form with the small ace 1.78/1.46 valves and the restrictive exhaust ports due to the thermactor bumps in the port.....the only way you'll see those kind of numbers outta stock heads is with a supercharger or NOS.........now with the gt-40 set up and a cam and intake.. a memeber on here with a good tune was able to squeeze 270 rwhp out of a 95 cobra.....but 320 with stock heads....won't happen...even alot of good h/c/i combos on here most are putting down between 290 and 300 and that's with full h/c/i...add a few more supporting mods and good dyno tune and you may reach the goal....don't fear a head swap..it's easy!!! setting up the valvetrain takes patience but it is necessary
Old 01-10-2008, 11:20 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

hmm ok now what about the tranny will it hold up witht the set up that i want? im sure the rear end will be able to take it. and hey what do u think about torque numbers what will that be like