5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Broken Bolt > What would U do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:11 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Default Broken Bolt > What would U do?

SO deleting my smog pump, when snap...I snapped the top bolt right off at the head. Now its hanging there not budging. Thinking of taking out the radiator and drilling it out. I have the delet kit, so I won't be mounting anything back to it.

I also snapped another bolt getting the AC off. Thebottom backright bolt that holds the bracket on. I wasgoing to drill that out, and tap it. Not sure if these new brackets on this delete kit ( http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS) bolt to that spot or not. ?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Tackeling this tomorrow.

I can get some pics if that would help.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:19 PM
1fastzook
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Broken Bolt > What would U do?

ORIGINAL: WHT5.0

SO deleting my smog pump, when snap...I snapped the top bolt right off at the head. Now its hanging there not budging. Thinking of taking out the radiator and drilling it out. I have the delet kit, so I won't be mounting anything back to it.

I also snapped another bolt getting the AC off. Thebottom backright bolt that holds the bracket on. I wasgoing to drill that out, and tap it. Not sure if these new brackets on this delete kit ( http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS) bolt to that spot or not. ?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Tackeling this tomorrow.

I can get some pics if that would help.
I guess your talking about the long bolt that goes through the alt/smog bracket and holds on the smog pump,if so i would remove the bracket and fix it theninstead of removing the radiator because it will be much easier.

And i guess your talking about the ac bolt that goes straight down in the back of the ac compressor bracket,if so that kit will give you a new peice.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

here's what a shop did when I broke that one on the way back from Utah to MAryland... I was in Nebraska..and this is the only time I ever had to pay to have my car fixed cause ya know I don't wheel my tool box behind my car...but the dude was good with a welding tip tourch and after drilling and putting a easy out in the drilled broken stud he lightly heated around the base and he was close to the head gasket but he had the flame adjusted just right and wham..I'll be danged if he didn't remove that stud safely without having to retap and helicoil it
Old 01-12-2008, 10:06 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

So that bracket can be removed, good to know will try that. Does that new peice from the kit use that bolt hole to mount or will it not be used? Thanks again
Old 01-12-2008, 10:11 PM
1fastzook
4th Gear Member

It will not be used unless you broke a bolt off in the cylinder head.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:32 AM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

How many bolts hold the alt. bracket on. I see two. Also some one told me to put liquid wrench on, I sure don't want to snap anymore, espically those bracket bolts.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:11 AM
1fastzook
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WHT5.0

How many bolts hold the alt. bracket on. I see two. Also some one told me to put liquid wrench on, I sure don't want to snap anymore, espically those bracket bolts.
Should be2 bolts and 3 that hold the bracket on.Liquid wrench or wd 40 will work fine
Old 01-13-2008, 08:11 AM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

PB Blaster spray is the standard penetrating oil in the industry.
Get it use it and you will swear by it! You can find it at auto part stores and Walmart.

If they are bolt holes you won't need there is no sense in wasting time removing the broken bolt.

For the ones you have to get out, spray up and let soak. Center punch the broken bolt and drill it, keeping the drill center. Work your way up in drill size for the appropriate easy out and keep the hole center. Spray it some more! Do not drill to deep, 1" or less or you may hit water! If you feel the drill go through the end of the bolt that's good put some more spray on it and it will get behind the bolt. Use a quality easy out, not one from the discount bin at the parts store.
If you have a torch available warm up around the bolt then insert the easy out and attempt to turn out the bolt.
Take your time and don't force it too much or you will be asking how to remove a broken easy out. (carbide burr on a die grinder or burn it out with a cutting torch)..............454
Old 01-13-2008, 11:58 AM
86whitepony
2nd Gear Member

just like fourfivefour said put pb blaster on it, punch it drill a hole in the cneter of it like half way down, change drill bit to a left handed one and reverse the drill direction, it will grip and screw right on out
Old 01-13-2008, 12:58 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

"1fastzook" thanks man. Bracket came right off and I jsut hacked the bracket bolt for the smog pump. She is off now, thanks for that tip, you saved me a hassle and a half.

Quick Reply: Broken Bolt > What would U do?