5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help! INSTALLED NEW AFRs but....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:22 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: help! INSTALLED NEW AFRs but....

well i pulled it apart again to try a different shim combo and i measured my pushrods. they are 6.25s, so they are stock?? thats what im guessing. i put a 20 thousandths shim in there and tightened them down. the car make the normal valve train noise it always had before so i think im good as far as i can tell. however i still wonder if any shim is suppose to be in there at all. from the factory they had no shims and onxy did not shim his so im wondering.... but it runs strong and is noise free so im happy

ON the other hand..... proform SUCKS!! i would never buy proform again!!! apon inspection of the metal piece that sits on the shim but is under the actual rocker was cracked on both sides!! it looks like the valley where the rocker sits was not wide enough causing the metal-whatever-you-call-it to crack. way to go proform, way to go. my father is an engineer and he said its probably from not heat treating it right. he also said that if they had any half wits for engineers that problem would have been non existant.

i could only imagine if one became too weak and splintered into my engine!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: help! INSTALLED NEW AFRs but....

ORIGINAL: vtecwho

ORIGINAL: mjr46

lol..proform roller rockers noisey??? naw never!!...heck I have a set on my 66 and I bought them cause they were the cheapest and mine are stud mount and they make more noise than any other rocker I 've owned....a friend of mine bought some scorpion roller rockers and they were bulky looking and I kind of laughed at them but after I installed them to my amazement they were the quietest roller rockers I have ever installed
i know... proform. im not a big advocate of their products but when money is tight and the car needed to run, somethings gotta give.

well thats good to hear that they are very noisy.

one other thing i noticed was that the spacer like thing that is between the rocker and the shims was cracked very slightly on multiple cylenders. i put back my ford racing ones from my 1.72s.
I know what you did, you put the flat part of the rocker down on the pedestal. I also did this on my first roller rocker install.
i was unaware that one side of the rocker shaft is flat, and the other side is curved.